WineXpert Extra Sugar in Island Mist= Long Primary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike777

Reaction score
Well, we have been in primary for 8 days on the apple reis. I took a measure at day 5 and it was 1.035 still and I would guess from the bubble action its probably only 1.020 or so now.

It got a full 5# charge and it was very hot yeast that started perking in 3-4 hours instead of the 24. Its been at 70F so thats ok.

Anyone else had this long primary when adding sugar?

Edited by: Mike777

Yes I have seen this more than once and the solution is to add some yeast nutrient. Try 2 teaspoons and give it a stir. I typically add nutrient in the makeup since some of these mist kit are lacking in that department and with the added sugar they need some help.

Nutrient? thats very possible to go with the white sugar overload.

It's making tons of CO2, so its making alcohol fine. Will nutrient excite things and make it go faster? Its already going pretty fast about two walnut sized bubbles or more every 2-3 seconds. I would hate to feed it and get a boil over.

Here is where some test kits might help? (and having nutrient on hand I suppose)

I will test it tonight when my sanitizers and stuff arrive from George and If I have to, I will go and get some in the AM. Everytime I go in there I end up with a closeout kit for 38 bucks and another carboy setup, before I get the tiny handfull of items I showed up for so I (my wallet) was kind of avoiding the beating.

Absolutely. I had a raspberrry(recently bottled) that started off slow
and added some nutrient and it blasted off! Its amazing what nutrient
and energizer will do.

Got my box of foam peanuts from George and was ready to rack but its still at 1.028 which seems crazy since its gassing like it just started.

So now its off to get nutrient at the local.
smiley18.gif

Well I kept it down to about$30 on a couple sale items and the nutrient and energizer. upgraded to universal bungs etc. Did pick up an autosiphon, which didn't help at all on racking off lees but will be fine for bottling.

Added both items in the prescribed quantities and its gassing about the same. will chedck in a day or so.

Big thanks on the advice. Most appreciated.

Latest posts

Back