Exploding Bottles, what did I do wrong?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xoxxx

Junior
Reaction score
I just finished a 5 gallon batch of white niagara grape wine.
Unfortunatley I was out of town when it was fermenting and came back and the SG was 1.010 so I knew it was finished.
However, when I came back it was bubbling like crazy.

I added 2.5 tsp of potassium sorbate hopeing that would stop and further fermentation and Co2 release.

4 bottles have exploded so far, why?

Also it has good first taste and a strange moldy/wierd after taste, why?

If your sg was at 1.010 from the original fermentation it was likely far from done fermenting. Generally you will get below 1.000 with fermentation. Once SG is constant for 3 consecutive days, you can proceed to stabilize.

What was the recipe, when did it start, what was starting sg.

I would suggest you open these back up and put back into a carboy to allow fermentation to complete. At that point, stabilize, clear, back sweeten to taste, clear, allow to bulk age then bottle.

Potassium Sorbate prohibits re-fermentation. It will not stop fermentation. You were not fermented to dry. 1.010 is not finished by any means. Sounds like you bottled and things came right back to life. Did you add the sulfite?

I just finished a 5 gallon batch of white niagara grape wine.
Unfortunatley I was out of town when it was fermenting and came back and the SG was 1.010 so I knew it was finished.
However, when I came back it was bubbling like crazy.

I added 2.5 tsp of potassium sorbate hopeing that would stop and further fermentation and Co2 release.

4 bottles have exploded so far, why?

Also it has good first taste and a strange moldy/wierd after taste, why?

Doug is right, get them out of the bottles and back into a carboy. Fermentation is not complete at 1.010, potassium sorbate only stops the growth of new yeast cells, the yeast that was their prior to that will continue to eat

You have no real choice but to open all the bottles; put the wine back in the fermentor, and let it go to dry. Monitor the SG regularly.

After it does get dry, you will likely need to add some more Kmeta. It would be better if you measure the exact amount you need. If you can't measure, after it does ferment to dry, add about 1/8th tsp of Kmeta. (I am only assuming you added Kmeta at the end of fermentation, at least you should have. If you didn't, after dry add 1/4 tsp of Kmeta.)

Did you add Kmeta at the end of fermentation?

What was the time frame from when the wine was started to when it was bottled and was it even clear?

Damn I bottled them to early I guess!!

It was fermenting for close to 2 weeks once it hit 1.010, and it was bubbling more than a glass of champagne should so I assumed it was done. Dumb thing for me to do..

Thanks for the help!

Damn I bottled them to early I guess!!

It was fermenting for close to 2 weeks once it hit 1.010, and it was bubbling more than a glass of champagne should so I assumed it was done. Dumb thing for me to do..

Thanks for the help!

Simple answer, if it is still bubbling, it's not done....

True one rule of thumb NEVER bottle any wine that still has any type of action going on with it.

all of the bottles that werent placed into the fridge have exploded (around 10) as soon as I get back in town I will try and re-ferment them completley until it is at 1.000
now the question is, can I re-use corcks that have already been plunged?

all of the bottles that werent placed into the fridge have exploded (around 10) as soon as I get back in town I will try and re-ferment them completley until it is at 1.000
now the question is, can I re-use corcks that have already been plunged?

No you can not re-use corks. And get the wine below 1.000. Are looking for a sweet wine? If so, you need to ferment dry, which is below 1.000, then add k-meta and sorbate, wait a week, then add sugar to some warm wine, to sweeten.

Be awful careful with those bottles. Maybe not so bad if they are just popping the corks, but if they are actually exploding, I would make sure you have goggles and handle them with gloves on. Take care and good luck with them. Feel for you, after all the work, loosing that wine. Arne.

The cool temps is keeping those bottles from exploding. I would take 1 out of the fridge at a time and open it and pour it back into the carboy - then take the next 1 out.

This will keep the others cool and help prevent from exploding.

Whatever you do make sure to toss those corks, they absolutely cannot be reused. They will leak and not seal properly.

The cool temps is keeping those bottles from exploding. I would take 1 out of the fridge at a time and open it and pour it back into the carboy - then take the next 1 out.

This will keep the others cool and help prevent from exploding.

Will do this!

I see I cannot reuse corcks, I have to order some more since I don't have many left.

When it gets close to fermentation completion I leave the hydrometer in the container. Then I can lift the lid and check the reading.

When it gets close to fermentation completion I leave the hydrometer in the container. Then I can lift the lid and check the reading.

How have I never thought of this? I feel dumb.

And to the op, everything that was said above, and also remember to degas thoroughly. I doubt that's the problem, but it can help you determine if fermentation is still active.

No you can not re-use corks. And get the wine below 1.000. Are looking for a sweet wine? If so, you need to ferment dry, which is below 1.000, then add k-meta and sorbate, wait a week, then add sugar to some warm wine, to sweeten.

Correct me if I'm wrong. If he adds sugar to back sweeten after k-meta and sorbate he should wait two weeks before bottling to ensure fermentation doesn't restart. Otherwise he may have a repeat of the exploding bottles.

Yep, Its always a good idea to wait a few weeks (or more) after back sweetening. Part of the 3P's of wine making.

Latest posts

Back