Elderberry Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a recipe for Elderberry wine that contains 3-5 lemons in it. If I was to change out the cut up lemons for RealLemon juice what would the conversion be. I can not find a conversion any where. I have made this befor and it is great, Recipe goes like this.

6-7 lbs elderberries cleanand destemmed
3-5 lemons per taste (i use 4)
20 cups sugar or to s.g 1.085
5 gals water boiled and poured over berries and lemons and sugar
stir to disolve sugar
Add yeast in 24 hrs
punch down cap 2 times daily checking temp and s.g until below1.000 (7 days)
at this point add 4 boxes golden raisons
Leave sit do not touch for 7-14 days
remove fruit after 7-14 days move liquid to 5 gal glass carboy.
adding K-meta at this time
rack until clear and then bottle.

My first thought is make your wine the way you always have. When the s.g. gets down to about 1.010, rack to carboy. Leave a quart to a half gal. with the lees. Go to the origional Skeeter Pee recipe and mix a batch on top of the lees. Should give you a strong elderberry flavor with a pretty decent skeeter pee. Like I said, just a thought. Have done this with other wines, like cherry and it brings more cherry flavor than just using the lees. Arne.

this sounds interesting. might try this. I hate to ruin a good thing as the original is quit good at about a year of age.

Just noticed only 6 lb of elderberries in 5 gal. Probably won't be a strong elderberry flavor in the s.p. but there should be some of its flavor in it. If you don't think the elderberry will be coming out strong enough, if you have any left, you can throw a handful or two of elderberries in the S.P. primary. Just a thought. Arne.

Latest posts

Back