WineXpert Eclipse Sonoma Dry Creek Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still don't understand why anyone would purposely purchase an unoaked Chardonnay, and then add oak to it.

I think we are all tinkerers at heart. I will admit, I didn't oak this one either and it is really good. Need to open another bottle, so I'll stash it in the fridge and see if I can lure my wife into a few glasses after she gets home from work today. Maybe I'll get lucky (and she'll really like it)(no, not that kind of lucky, I have four kids already, you people have sick minds ya know).

I still don't understand why anyone would purposely purchase an unoaked Chardonnay, and then add oak to it.

Perhaps the answer is 'because we can'. No other justification is necessary. To each their own.

I've made this three ways: straight kit instructions; oak spiral and tannin Riche; and oak barrel fermented. I like it straight. My wife and friends prefer the one fermented in a barrel best.

So, I opened two of the 375ml tester bottles of this batch. One of the oaked version and one of the unoaked version.

When I first removed the oak cubes and tasted both. The oaked version was heads above the unoaked. I just really wasn't feeling the unoaked batch.

The wine is now six months old and still is the two three gallon carboys. I've got to say. The unoaked version has come roaring back and is now IMO on par (if not better) than the oaked version. In the next 3-6 months, the unoaked may end up being far and away better than the oaked version.

Either way, I'm extremely happy with the way the wine is coming along!

This thread is five years old. But, what the heck, let's resurrect this zombie thread and talk Sonoma Dry Creek Chardonnay.

The kit is among WE's reformulated offerings. Seems a couple things have changed - EC1118 comes with the kit, along with about 45-60g of oak chips for the primary. Since that will only offer some sacrificial tannins and no oakiness on the nose or palate, I added some American medium toast oak to the finish (I likes me some oak with my chard). I'm planning to degas, rack, top up and wait about 6 months before bottling.

Anyone have a recommendation for a chard to top up? I don't think I want to use my Luna Bianca. It's a very different wine than this one.

Back