WineXpert Eclipse Sonoma Dry Creek Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's starting to clear!!!

bcH-tnq8cRxaT3fBZGWR7_OQCQGlwhHog2tV95A8iwHtVT0-Ya4heUzFQ_DvSmyKvYFs0VL7cE8qsCcS2RvrNMgOZxkKBsYr3XfK2vomPxJVQkuQHkMEAgmG_9LxVGIj7tCyAVgHmvjTw1feVTqs-1O_fEYLHnFST20JOFPPzNku1J2KY4A2Yfgqnl5zJcepseLAoBgetikg0crSY0G6iqJU8EfhDHs_Xl57rfK99kcUSL71bH_L6zKIZTbqpk_NuvCPXg4_rM9Bjex4g82LXpugqAK1ZEpYqD31PJSHhCpJttNMtgXiLPWmoHpvwXc_y4FT9ElYvbjRjUTnSP9zsUdhovkbUsbMNIWDEOqPFz9NPCRMuAOQzSG7yMiclRg7tmTXRf72N9E6Pdjg4C_UoB6InwPJF3daMTSVvrlkJO_wrhr-C21c1dEDCI1k78ElrUUJgB_gX28C_rypKx-oLNMiUvAMJIp31qQV3IEwwwwqlFz1BujglWLCQdeN2J35693086iyX7c1sqWvpGrw0isZJpcQmmJUvTqR_IivzQ-LasFhFrkh2lttzX6tAHKNZiLT=w735-h979-no

Looking good! Next time you rack, assuming you're going to age for a while and not bottle, consider getting that carboy topped up. If I recall those instructions, you'll rack off of sediment after a couple weeks or so and let it sit another month.

This has taken the longest time of any white I've made to shine. I left it three weeks on the lees, then racked and only now (2 weeks later) is it looking clear and bright. Good things and all that... I hope!

So, my chardonnay was clearing beautifully. I racked it into two three gallon carboys so I could oak one of the carboys.

Pqrew0oZbMaAccG_agmxANAXZn8DvzrzXDRpGSjWorEh9wxEcg_wUJegBTsp32mU-96h91m3urGmCYwSpBB9CWq1rBLc9JCZVtfdQVYAWHDUdboRx8ZZzySog-0zNp-Y1EItOsVnhpFm73p12TIf3XNqSODBN4YdjyUHdNXCQHpfP1GloTLS2xcYLlozXVB6aIUn0n7qjDisUaIQi6SpPIu6Xw0INXRr9K25ZRioyDHGM2147Z-m6-uTQh_HjPCxGN0XdmfRy4cmDBztKSRiK_4Vm7Napz777FVMMW98UoNtlKIkSc9Dt4dmwNgui7sQD1sM3ztz-i551FpwRwLNAHUL3PR2PclyoaC2NtuQyAlTNmBGr7JyIuJ1FifkTIadraZdxZ0OAxgdPd6KqnnqyIsx9i_q_Izu0fEAvhUIcnneZGc7UuBuRKVmU8Ns0AZpDYnuEV4frTA0XWpIWFiDhuRT03e4YwLz_Nr4jSQEoP0Sq3-h5hc4k-E0-0i-ARrmD3bUTOB_xYyabripFosI6xh-7tzi9pquLqOqr1wo4VH1JPOB2B4EC_2smW6qpOTXkrNNkzFjOUHyMDh4MpQgs1x3U3mIwD8=w600-h799-no

The carboy on the right was the first one racked. It's very clear, the second one not so much but I believe that comes from that I racked it from the bottom and got some of the mess. I also added the top off chardonnay and the oak to this one. I want to keep the clean version the most clean of the two so I can taste it without any variation from other wines or oak.

The oaked one. Will it continue to clear or do I need to look at adding a little more clearing agent to it? (probably should just sit and watch and then determine that)

So, my chardonnay was clearing beautifully. I racked it into two three gallon carboys so I could oak one of the carboys.

Pqrew0oZbMaAccG_agmxANAXZn8DvzrzXDRpGSjWorEh9wxEcg_wUJegBTsp32mU-96h91m3urGmCYwSpBB9CWq1rBLc9JCZVtfdQVYAWHDUdboRx8ZZzySog-0zNp-Y1EItOsVnhpFm73p12TIf3XNqSODBN4YdjyUHdNXCQHpfP1GloTLS2xcYLlozXVB6aIUn0n7qjDisUaIQi6SpPIu6Xw0INXRr9K25ZRioyDHGM2147Z-m6-uTQh_HjPCxGN0XdmfRy4cmDBztKSRiK_4Vm7Napz777FVMMW98UoNtlKIkSc9Dt4dmwNgui7sQD1sM3ztz-i551FpwRwLNAHUL3PR2PclyoaC2NtuQyAlTNmBGr7JyIuJ1FifkTIadraZdxZ0OAxgdPd6KqnnqyIsx9i_q_Izu0fEAvhUIcnneZGc7UuBuRKVmU8Ns0AZpDYnuEV4frTA0XWpIWFiDhuRT03e4YwLz_Nr4jSQEoP0Sq3-h5hc4k-E0-0i-ARrmD3bUTOB_xYyabripFosI6xh-7tzi9pquLqOqr1wo4VH1JPOB2B4EC_2smW6qpOTXkrNNkzFjOUHyMDh4MpQgs1x3U3mIwD8=w600-h799-no

The oaked one. Will it continue to clear or do I need to look at adding a little more clearing agent to it? (probably should just sit and watch and then determine that)

It will clear on its own with a little time.

Ya it will clear on it's own. Last week I just racked and filtered mine for bulk aging. Gave it a little taste, and it's already delicious. I'm excited to see how it is in 6 - 12 months.

Wade

So I racked the half that I added the 2oz of medium toasted french oak too so I could extract the cubes and of course rack off the minimal cruft from the bottom.

I was quite excited to see how the oak vs unoaked tasted different so I thieved some from both the oaked and unoaked for a taste test.

The unoaked is still quite rough being so young with a real edge to it. The oaked version showed a bit softer with what I think will end up being a perfect butteriness. Definitely not over-oaked like some off the shelf chardonnays. (thanks Jim and Craig ( @Boatboy24 / @ceeaton ) for the guidance!)

So far, I'm very happy with the progress.

Last week I just racked and filtered mine for bulk aging. Gave it a little taste, and it's already delicious. I'm excited to see how it is in 6 - 12 months.

I'm at the same point with mine. I racked it and topped it off for three-month bulk aging two weeks ago, and took a sip from the line at the end for my troubles. It was so smooth and delicious for being so young. After that, I started to question if it even needed aging, but I know it will improve even more (though I'm not entirely sure how). Bottling in August can't come soon enough!

I'm at the same point with mine. I racked it and topped it off for three-month bulk aging two weeks ago, and took a sip from the line at the end for my troubles. It was so smooth and delicious for being so young. After that, I started to question if it even needed aging, but I know it will improve even more (though I'm not entirely sure how). Bottling in August can't come soon enough!

There is something to be said about that. At 3 months it was surprisingly good (family sampled around Christmas). Now that it is approaching 8 months old, a lot of that nice fruitiness as died back and it has become very dry, in a good way. Just was astounded at the flavor change. I haven't sampled a bottle of this for a couple of months (did give a case to my Mom for an early b-day present), so maybe I can pull one out next weekend when my better half doesn't have to work. BTW, didn't add any oak, might try it next time I make it.

There is something to be said about that. At 3 months it was surprisingly good (family sampled around Christmas). Now that it is approaching 8 months old, a lot of that nice fruitiness as died back and it has become very dry, in a good way. Just was astounded at the flavor change. I haven't sampled a bottle of this for a couple of months (did give a case to my Mom for an early b-day present), so maybe I can pull one out next weekend when my better half doesn't have to work. BTW, didn't add any oak, might try it next time I make it.

I'm pretty excited about the oaked one thus far, but that's a long time off and that could change given how people say the un-tweaked kit is extremely good. Which is why I split the batch rather than tweaked the entire thing. Once they come of age, I will share my thoughts on both.

Hm, that's interesting. I quite like the fruit notes in it, so maybe I'll drink more of it up front. :h At this point, I would definitely purchase this kit again, and maybe split it like @dcbrown73 and oak half.

I bottled it today.

I used the same label for both the oaked and unoaked just noting the different wines on the label.

I tasted both, the oaked is definitely better at this point. The oak softens it and adds buttery notes, but keeping it down to only 2oz for the 3 gallons of oaked definitely kept the oak from getting out of control.

I got (13) 750ml bottles from each plus (4) 375ml bottles of each for occasional tasting as it ages.

SJLHmCNK2pgKx8-IrMEWB41CWEOclI4M5wqhFysZDcTaAjsrmfZbKZLqmphVd2tuT0H2Ab54qu-9hwZAfU3McJ-3HarB8htb_f85MJCTbE_E4g_MxKOSKPlCZ3dq6LHmV6LrTY1kFiyNOjFi17kc-1aWOf8zdi_vOs8-39WBSarLNep9Cp70ewEjLM3tchAUMXH95Rg8xRUNfksTqc5y9tzgar9AW85NqgQ7IJrqwetSPExlyhkY8ysReHLbx9jiB7koDn4HVQZwr0QLAkowMSHl73A_ooadm-FezRjYCyjyx5oph1VLzO1AB5IvdQZBofPJUMI1Z0Pf-smsWk4tuTRN3J-0Uu_Qh3y-Iud3OrdPrmmW-oV5PlATFGSye9GUmW2TGYWp_7Kr-bi8gyNdHCmGg_CzqQXCJQEB4EPcgO_0O2hbCW0_Hu5ClrR0Qi4B_K3i4LHXpl1w4ugBoFiUOT4w3AZkl4__Eem2xvfJ0TO0qBWYni1VtmAKTd1uBA3fvw8SIZZyVBldaUXnkz0BJJcUDQ6mqzqbniVj-aGLQfEzVFF76IZ-9CUrofl6X156qbR-HpwfQSCCMC4zoPbjgZ2q0PkxOowh=w600-h799-no

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm very happy with the outcome also.

The labels are from Stoney Creek Wine Press. I've got to say. I am extremely happy with them also. These labels are the matte labels. Their texture is silky smooth, they feel very nice to the touch.

I also want to give them a shout out too. I actually ordered two sets of labels as I decided after I had ordered theses that I was going to go ahead and bottle my Shiraz too, so I ended up going back and ordering those labels too. Because I didn't order them together, I payed more per label and ended up with a second shipping charge. (not to mention, I had to contact them twice due to typos on my part which they fixed)

Anyhow, they noticed I had two orders of two different labels. On their own without me saying anything. They combine the orders gave me the discount for the total label count, and because my order went over the free shipping threshold, they refunded both shipping charges.

I didn't even have to say a thing! That is customer service! Thank you Stoney Creek!

Oh thanks to The Label Wizard too. In two bottlings, it's by far already paid for itself out of a lack of frustration on getting labels on straight! :)

Of course, the AIO is a godsend too. :)

This can be a frustrating hobby without the tools to get the job done much easier!

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm very happy with the outcome also.

The labels are from Stoney Creek Wine Press. I've got to say. I am extremely happy with them also. These labels are the matte labels. Their texture is silky smooth, they feel very nice to the touch.

I also want to give them a shout out too. I actually ordered two sets of labels as I decided after I had ordered theses that I was going to go ahead and bottle my Shiraz too, so I ended up going back and ordering those labels too. Because I didn't order them together, I payed more per label and ended up with a second shipping charge. (not to mention, I had to contact them twice due to typos on my part which they fixed)

Anyhow, they noticed I had two orders of two different labels. On their own without me saying anything. They combine the orders gave me the discount for the total label count, and because my order went over the free shipping threshold, they refunded both shipping charges.

I didn't even have to say a thing! That is customer service! Thank you Stoney Creek!

Oh thanks to The Label Wizard too. In two bottlings, it's by far already paid for itself out of a lack of frustration on getting labels on straight! :)

Of course, the AIO is a godsend too. :)

This can be a frustrating hobby without the tools to get the job done much easier!

I have had nothing but good luck with Stoney Creek Wine Press. The labels are high-quality and their customer service is great.

I'm going to check them out.

That looks awesome. The only downside I see is the price. My labels now cost me about $0.12/label. These, while excellent, cost 10x that and increase my per bottle cost to produce by 20%. Unless I'm reading it wrong, that's just too much for me. [emoji53]

Last edited:
I am in on this kit too and its really more than tasty right now in the carboy @ about 5mos. I added a pound of golden raisins to primary and kept on the lees for 2-3 months. Whilst on lees i had a medium hungarian spiral in there and a month ago added a medium plus hungarian spiral. I'm going to have to experiment with more chardonnays but i am very happy with this one. Rich creamy buttery vanilla oak and great body - perfect attitude and enthusiasm. If she were my girl i would be over the moon in love. There's no way i'm going to keep this in bottles long if i dont upend the carboy and drown myself in her luxury all at once. I would at least die with the memory of her wonderfully alluring and fragrant melon notes with hin of dark obsession burned into my soul.

Cheers!
-jb

I am in on this kit too and its really more than tasty right now in the carboy @ about 5mos. I added a pound of golden raisins to primary and kept on the lees for 2-3 months. Whilst on lees i had a medium hungarian spiral in there and a month ago added a medium plus hungarian spiral. I'm going to have to experiment with more chardonnays but i am very happy with this one. Rich creamy buttery vanilla oak and great body - perfect attitude and enthusiasm. If she were my girl i would be over the moon in love. There's no way i'm going to keep this in bottles long if i dont upend the carboy and drown myself in her luxury all at once. I would at least die with the memory of her wonderfully alluring and fragrant melon notes with hin of dark obsession burned into my soul.

Cheers!
-jb

Get a room :)

Cheers!
-jb
I still don't understand why anyone would purposely purchase an unoaked Chardonnay, and then add oak to it.

Latest posts

Back