WineXpert Eclipse Lodi Cab

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broge5

Reaction score
Yikes! Just racked from primary yesterday. SG .995 after 6 days. Took everything that would go thru the bucket spout in order to fill the carboy and not need topping up. Kept having to un-clog the spout. What a pain. Probably gonna put oak chips in bag next time.

Checked it this morning and found this! This is the first time I've had so much sediment gather at the top of the carboy. Luckily didn't run over yet to the floor. The little cap on the airlock ( the one I almost never use) seems to have saved me. Removed the airlock for cleaning and a couple pokes with the spoon and it all fell to the bottom. Minutes later, almost had a volcano from CO2 release! But again, no spill over yet.

Anybody seen all the sediment gather at the top like this? I figure the bubbles are bringing it up. ImageUploadedByWine Making1396540874.388030.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I've had that happen, and as a result, I never rack until 7 days, and an SG of close to .990. The problem is that it is still fermenting, and off gassing quite a bit of CO2. The other thing I do with the grapeskin kits is reserve about 2/3 of a bottle when racking from the primary. This leaves a little more headspace in the carboy, and ensures that I won't get what you got ever again. Having said that, don't worry; be happy. The Lodi Ranch 11 Cab is a delicious wine when it finally gets done.

Wineh, When you pull off the two thirds of a bottle, do you do it before you start racking at the beginning? Or do you do it at the end and just put it aside? I thought about doing that but my fear was getting oxygenation in that two thirds of a bottle that I had left. Now thinking about it I guess it probably doesn't have too much of a risk of that with it still fermenting and all

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I get the wine flowing into the carboy, then pinch off the tube, put it in the bottle, fill to suit, then pinch again. I don't worry much about air in the bottle, as it is still off-gassing CO2, which quickly replaces air. I return that reserve amount after I have made additions and stirred to stabilize and de-gas. I realize I am taking a small risk, but it has worked so far (about 10 or 15 grapeskins kits).

Back