WineXpert Eclipse Lodi Cab - calling all tweakers!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll typically get all of the oak from cubes prior to reaching the first three month rack time. Just taste along the way and rack off of them if the oak gets where you want it. If not, just let em soak til you are ready to rack.

If the oak doesn't get there, add some new cubes to your target carboy and rack onto them for another three month sit with tasting along the way. That's one of the nice advantages of bulk aging, plenty of time to customize your wine just the way you want it.

Good call. Thanks. I've been away for a few days. Think I'll go down and visit with my wine.

Good call. Thanks. I've been away for a few days. Think I'll go down and visit with my wine.

I hope you have a good visit. You have been away too much so I hope you spend some quality time with your carboys.

Just racked the Brunello today and it smells exactly like the Forza kit did at that point. I think I'm in love, or at least deep like. Don't tell my wife, though I helped a little with her algebra today, so I earned a few points.

Don't tell my wife, though I helped a little with her algebra today, so I earned a few points.

I wish I could get brownie points from my wife for algebra assistance. For me, it is generally a lot higher level of math required, and then she winds up besting me as often as I best her. I usually can, however, get brownie points with assistance in English! :D

This early in the relationship... Sounds more like lust to me.

:db

There is a deep yearning in my heart (and taste buds) to have it be this time next year right now, but it can't, since there isn't a February 29th for four more years.

And you know what that means, soon there will be little 375's running around, chased by ceeaton, screaming the they've been ripped from mother carboy's bosom way too soon!!!

Ha, you must have seen my fingerprints on that empty bottle at the bottom of the basement steps. I did set up an evening hunt and found a 375 of the Forza that strayed too far from it's momma. It screamed like a baby since it was still so young, but tasted delicious.

Believe it or not I still have 8 out of the 11 Forza 375's. Not bad for me!

Just got notice my two WE lodi zin kits will be delivered tomorrow. Had planned on starting tomorrow and using BM 4x4 but local LHBS is out. Suggested RC212, Red Star Montrachet or Red Star Pasteur Red Wine Yeast. He also has vitners harvest wine yeast but I have no experience with any other than the RC212. On the vintners harvest yeast he suggested the VR21. I have never heard of this brand of yeast but its a bit pricey so who knows?? Link is http://vintnersharvest.com/collections/wine-yeasts . If anyone has any info on this please let me know. Otherwise I am going with the RC212. Thanks.

Just got notice my two WE lodi zin kits will be delivered tomorrow. Had planned on starting tomorrow and using BM 4x4 but local LHBS is out. Suggested RC212, Red Star Montrachet or Red Star Pasteur Red Wine Yeast. He also has vitners harvest wine yeast but I have no experience with any other than the RC212. On the vintners harvest yeast he suggested the VR21. I have never heard of this brand of yeast but its a bit pricey so who knows?? Link is http://vintnersharvest.com/collections/wine-yeasts . If anyone has any info on this please let me know. Otherwise I am going with the RC212. Thanks.

You could mail order some BM4x4 if you really wanted (or, since I'm pretty sure I have a packet laying around, I can put one in an envelope to you - PM me if you'd like). A day or two delay in starting your kit really won't make much difference.

How about this (appealing to the scientific methodologist in you):

Start one of your two kits with the RC 212 that will likely come with the kit. When the BM 4x4 comes in, start the second kit and document the differences in fermentation, taste, body, color, etc., between the two kits. Other than the yeast, do each kit the same way.

Last edited:
Start one of your two kits with the RC 212 that will likely come with the kit. When the BM 4x4 comes in, start the second kit and document the differences in fermentation, taste, body, color, etc., between the two kits. Other than the yeast, do each kit the same way.

Need to start it this week and get to secondary before I head out of town for a couple of weeks. I would take your suggestion and and do different yeasts, but both kits will be together in a 40L barrel so I wouldn't know the difference in the end result. Think I will stick with the RC212 since that is what I can get today. Thanks for the suggestion and offer to send the BM!

If you're looking for a home for that remaining 6 L of wine, I can take it off your hands. :db

Thanks for the offer as that was really generous of you. Think I will save it for angels share for the barrel. Maybe a little tasting as well :ib Wondering if this should be the wine I break in the barrel with or something I will not cry if I over oak? Suggestions are welcome!

Wondering if this should be the wine I break in the barrel with or something I will not cry if I over oak? Suggestions are welcome!

This would be a good break in wine. It'll handle a good amount of oak. Just taste it weekly. I recently broke in my 3rd barrel with a batch of 2015 WE LR Super Tuscan. It was in for 5 weeks. Two weeks after taking it out, I'd say the oak has fallen back more than 50%.

Thanks for the barrel suggestion.

Did anyone get oak powder with this kit? I saw it listed on the supply list, and in the directions...but no oak powder. Called winexpert and they said no powder with kit. They were not the nicest customer service I have dealt with. Could have just been a bad day for the lady I spoke with.

I did get oak cubes for the secondary though.

Thanks for the barrel suggestion.

Did anyone get oak powder with this kit? I saw it listed on the supply list, and in the directions...but no oak powder. Called winexpert and they said no powder with kit. They were not the nicest customer service I have dealt with. Could have just been a bad day for the lady I spoke with.

I did get oak cubes for the secondary though.

I don't know with the Zin. But the Cab comes with oak chips for the primary (I had to go back to page 2 of this thread to verify) and cubes for the finish.

I'm surprised with your comment re: WE customer service. First stop for me is usually my retailer (Matt at LabelPeelers). He's always great with email responses and it seems like he's done nearly every kit they make himself. Emails to WE, though sometimes lacking in content, have usually been pleasant.

If I have a beef about WE kits, you just touched on it. The instructions they give cover a wide range of kits; and they never give an inventory of what SHOULD be in your particular kit.

My last kit was an Amarone. They sent me directions for a Speciale.

I don't know with the Zin. But the Cab comes with oak chips for the primary (I had to go back to page 2 of this thread to verify) and cubes for the finish.

I'm surprised with your comment re: WE customer service. First stop for me is usually my retailer (Matt at LabelPeelers). He's always great with email responses and it seems like he's done nearly every kit they make himself. Emails to WE, though sometimes lacking in content, have usually been pleasant.

If I have a beef about WE kits, you just touched on it. The instructions they give cover a wide range of kits; and they never give an inventory of what SHOULD be in your particular kit.

My last kit was an Amarone. They sent me directions for a Speciale.

Maybe she was having a bad day. We all have a few of those. As you said the directions are very broad based. I am not an expert by any stretch at making wine, but when I see an item listed twice and no packaging, I want to make sure I don't need. I went to their website first and no help. Then the phone call. Sent you a pm on purchase.

In the primary yesterday afternoon. This has to be the best smelling kit out of the gate so far for me. Just a wonderful aroma.

With going to a new barrel that will impart a lot of oak, should I use the oak cubes or wait until out of the barrel to decide if it needs more? I am a barrel newbie so do not want to make a big oak mistake. Thanks!

With going to a new barrel that will impart a lot of oak, should I use the oak cubes or wait until out of the barrel to decide if it needs more? I am a barrel newbie so do not want to make a big oak mistake. Thanks!

I'd probably wait on the cubes until after the barrel. Remember, you can always add more but you can't take it back out. That goes for almost everything you add to your wine.

Latest posts

Back