Dry Just Black Cherry SP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MurphyTexas

Just Sippin
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used Knudsen's Just Black Cherry juice to back flavor Skeeter Pee?

Since making SP is all about trying different things; I decided to Back Flavor Dry rather than Back Sweeten. Today I added a 32 oz bottle of R. W. Knudsen's unsweetened Just Black Cherry to a 5 gallon carboy of finished stabilized Skeeter Pee. The specific gravity is exactly 1.0 so it is dry. WOW. This tastes great at room temperature and without a need for sweetening. Of course, I will sweeten a bottle with simple syrup and have friends who prefer dry wine to do a blind taste test to see what they think.

Just Black Cherry quart glass bottle was $3.88 at Walmart. The ingredients list: Juice from ripe whole black cherries. No added water. No preservatives. No sugar. Just a very strong Black Cherry flavor packed into a small quart bottle. Not sure if 2 quart bottles would be better in 5 gallons but 1 quart adds enough flavor.

My favorite Skeeter until today has been Blackberry Jam SP back sweetened with a BB Jam F-Pak. This black cherry SP "might could" give it a run for it's money.

I still have 2 carboys of finished stabilized unflavored SP waiting patiently. I wonder what a combo Blackberry Jam / Black Cherry Juice back sweetening would taste like?

I am finishing clearing my Cherry/Lemon/Lime Dragon's Blood Skeeter Pee and was thinking of doing this for back sweetening instead of just sugar. I want to wait and taste it first though before I do anything. I was thinking of possibly reducing some of the cherry juice and adding some sugar to make an F-pac for this.

Brief update. Good Tasting! Added another bottle of Just Black Cherry to 5 gallons of SP. Made half sweet and left half dry. People who prefer dry wine like the dry SP much better. Although this is a clear cherry juice it did create a significant amount of fluffy lees on the bottom. I am going to add benonite today to compact lees then rack the wine.

Back