dragons blood not clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlb

Reaction score
I started a batch of dragons blood on November 28. Other than substituting orange juice for the lemon juice I followed Dave's instructions to a T. When I racked out of the primary on 12/9the sg was .990 and had been there for 3 days. I degassed very well, added 1/4 tsp k-meta, 3 tsp sorbate and 1 tablespoon of hot mix sparkollid. It has been sitting in my 60 degree cellar for two weeks and is showing no signs of clearing. Do you think it is just too cold at 60 degrees?

Start out getting it up in the 70's. If you havn't used pectic enzime, give it a shot of that. If it still doesn't clear, try using some superkleer. How big is your batch? You mite not of used enough sparkaloid, check the amount to use on the label of the container it came in. Good luck with it, Arne.

I did add pectic enzime to he must the day before i pitched the yeast. The directions for my sparklloid says to use 1 tablespoon mixed in 1 cup of water and simmer for 5 minutes per 6 gallons which is what i did this time and have done in the past. I will move it from the basement to the first floor which is 72 degrees year round.

It is best to get it off the floor, maybe a board or two under it, and it will take some time to come up to 70 degrees if you have 5 gal. or more. Make sure you take the temp. of the wine, not just the room air temp. Setting it in a pan of warm water can help to bring the temp. up. Arne.

Latest posts

Back