Dragon Blood in 15 days!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, I think I squeezed my berries too hard... and have a lot of pectin in my Dragon blood. I tossed in 2 teaspoons of pectic enzyme after stabilizing and sulfiting. Do you think this will help clear up the haze or should I have added the enzyme prior to Meta?

Ouch, I bet your pee is painful now. :)

Yes, I bet that will help it clear nicely. Just give it a few days.

Thanks southlake333, I guess I could just pick up a packet of yeast so I don't have to wait for the merlot to ferment.

Dawg: you can also use paint straining bags from your local big box store for your fruit. I just picked some up the other day. For my first batch of pee, I used a bag purchased at my LHBS for about $7. I got six bags from lowes the other day for about $9.

Ouch, I bet your pee is painful now. :)

Yes, I bet that will help it clear nicely. Just give it a few days.

South, thanks for hitting that one out of the park. I really should re-read the posts before I hit send. DOH!

Thanks for the info....

My batch is clearing nicely and really looking nice, a few more days and it should be pretty clear, I am liking the coloration. This batch was pitched on 6/25/12 and I can hardly wait to back sweeten and sample.

IMAG0260.jpg

IMAG0262.jpg

Think my problem was pectic haze. Did the test and some stringy clumps developed. Just added another dose of enzyme. Hopefully clears up.

Last edited:
Inspired by the Dragon Blood recipe and wanting to do something similar with just juices, I started a batch using 96 oz ReaLemon and 2 gallons of Ocean Spray cranberry, blackberry, and blueberry. Starting at SG 1.100 I pitched the yeast on Monday and was at 1.026 last night. Tasted at 1.050 and if that is similar to finished flavor, then this one will be put on my favorites list, it was pretty tasty. This is a 6 gallon batch with a little over.

John please tell me about this Ocean Spray... How much of each did you use. I've never used Ocean Spray so I know nothing about it.

I used 2-gallons of the Ocean Spray cranberry, blackberry, blueberry juice blend including grape and apple that is found in most grocery stores as well as 96 ounces of ReaLemon. This is my first batch using the Ocean Spray in the Skeeter Pee recipe. It tasted good at various stages during the fermentation, I have high hopes for the flavor with this combination. DangerDave's may have a better overall berry flavor since he fermented on the fruit to make his Dragon Blood. I just wanted to try doing something similar to his recipe by just using grocery store juices instead of whole berries.

Last edited:
I used 2-gallons of the Ocean Spray cranberry, blackberry, blueberry juice blend including grape, apple and pear that is found in most grocery stores as well as 96 ounces of ReaLemon.

Were these their 100% juices or their cocktail blends?

They were the 100% juice type, the result looks, smells and tasted good. I am just anxious to back sweeten and sample when I rack off of the Sparkolloid lees.

I used 2-gallons of the Ocean Spray cranberry, blackberry, blueberry juice blend including grape, apple and pear that is found in most grocery stores as well as 96 ounces of ReaLemon. This is my first batch using the Ocean Spray in the Skeeter Pee recipe. It tasted good at various stages during the fermentation, I have high hopes for the flavor with this combination. DangerDave's may have a better overall berry flavor since he fermented on the fruit to make his Dragon Blood. I just wanted to try doing something similar to his recipe by just using grocery store juices instead of whole berries.

I'm very curious how this turns out as the bags of fruit get expensive quick. When you say "2-gallons of the Ocean Spray cranberry, blackberry, blueberry juice blend" is that a single product? Or 3 separate products that you dump in together? All the Ocean Spray products I've seen on the shelves contain preservatives so I hadn't thought to try them but if it works for you then I might need to.

On a side notes, now that my Tinkleberry Tea (quad berry skeeter) has been in bottles for a few weeks, its....addictive. This is by far my favorite of all of the wines I've made so far and will be my default from now on. Thanks Lon and Dave!

The berry blend is all three berries in the same bottle. The label only lists ascorbic acid and citric acid in addition to the fruit juices, so no preservatives are listed on the label.

image0269.jpg

image0271.jpg

Last edited:
The berry blend is all three berries in the same bottle. The label only lists ascorbic acid and citric acid in addition to the fruit juices, so no preservatives are listed on the label.

Nice, I'm going to have to try that. Have you had berry pee fermented with actual fruit to use as a taste comparison? I'm excited to see how this turns out.

So many variations...gotta try them all! I'm never going to drink all this...lol.

Nice, I'm going to have to try that. Have you had berry pee fermented with actual fruit to use as a taste comparison? I'm excited to see how this turns out.

So many variations...gotta try them all! I'm never going to drink all this...lol.

No, not yet but I need to try it. This was an attempt to get something similar from just juice. I almost got my thief out last night to hat a sample, it is pretty much clear now. I will probably get a sample this week.

If I would start the today what are the chances that I can put it to clear before the 19th of July. I leave for Florida and won't be back till the 30th. Didn't know if I should just wait till I got back or not.

It would probably just have time to finish fermenting (probably 5-7 days) but not clear.

If I would start the today what are the chances that I can put it to clear before the 19th of July. I leave for Florida and won't be back till the 30th. Didn't know if I should just wait till I got back or not.

You would be able to get it into the secondary where it could sit for as long as you want (and could end up clearing without a clearing agent). But you won't be able to get to the sparkolloid step before you go.

I say go ahead and do it. The carboy phase is the most variable length phase and can last as long as you want. So letting that happen while you're out of town is a great idea.

Ok I did go ahead and start. The brew shop I go to didn't have sparkoloid, they don't carry it. He recommended Isinglass instead. Should I order some sparkoloid or is what I bought ok?

Does anyone know how to adjust this for a Christmas cranberry cinnamon blend. Thought that would make cute Christmas gifts in mason jars decorated for Christmas.

Latest posts

Back