Door county cherries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I went to Door county today and picked 40 #s of tart cherries. The orchard had a pitting machine so we had them pit the whole lot, that was really slick. Couldn't ask for a better day, in the 70s and sunny. Currently have the cherries in the freezer and will thaw out Saturday and crush on sunday, ferment on monday. I'm thinking of using straight juice with two bananas for body and flavor to make 3 to 4 gallons of wine.

That is pretty good that they had a pitter, and yes I think straight juice is the way to go.

crushed the cherries last night and added SO2 and pectic enzyme, bentonite, yeast food etc. checked the PH this morning it's 3.1. the juice tastse great but way too tart. Would it be better too add some water to get to 3.4 or so or add some type of bicarbonate?

what is your sg? If it is not around 1.080 - 1,090, you are going to have to add some sugar to get it there. If so, check ph after you add the sugar.

Latest posts

Back