Does When It's Clear Determine When To Bottle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

critterhunter

Reaction score
I'm wondering, I hear some of you guys saying 6 months to bottle. I'm very impatient and would like to have a time span from fermenting to bottling of about 2 months or maybe 3. I was just wondering if a set time span isn't really what determines when to bottle, but rather that is based on when the wine gets clear? Meaning, if the stuff is pretty darn clear in say 2 or 3 months then is it OK to bottle then? I just want to push my bottling/drinking time to as quick as possible. Also, if you use a clearifying agent then does that mean you can increase bottling time?

While I'm at it, how important is clearity to the taste of the wine? I mean, could you bottle the stuff while it's still rather cloudy and expect a reasonable tasting wine?

You can bottle early and drink if its what you want to do. No one can tell you how to enjoy your wine. When you bottle and drink early you run the risk of not degassing properly, getting sediment at the bottom of your bottles, and not giving your wine the proper chance to mature. I know from experience that the whole degassing and clarification process takes at least 6 months while the aging process can take even longer. Some fruit wines won't hit their peak until they are 2 years old. Still, it is your wine and you can enjoy it however you please.

There's more to determining when to bottle than just clearing the wine. Although that is an important factor. Bulk aging also helps create uniformity throughout the batch by allowing the flavors, acidity, tannin, alcohol, and sweetness levels to mingle and smooth out.

You can put it in a bottle when its clear, but dont expect the whole batch to taste the same from one bottle to the next, like it would if you allowed it time to bulk age. There are some wines, that aren't even palatable for years - so just because its in a bottle doesnt mean its ready to drink 30 days afterward (giving the wine time to recover from bottle shock).

The 6-month time span allows all the difference factors of a wine to coalesce, giving you a better idea of your final product before its in a bottle and allowing you to make adjustments as it progresses.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but im good at it :) - wine is all about patience.

Hope to help..

in my opinion...

if it is not clear, it's not ready to bottle.
BUT just because it is clear, doesn't mean it is ready to bottle.

There is NO timespan.

Remember this is winemaking not exact science.
Each wine you make is and will be different.

I have made wines that were ready to bottle within 2 monhs. And I had wines that were ready to bottle 8 months after I started the wine.

There are 2 variables that determin if the wine is ready:
1) If SG is well below 1.000
2) If the wine is clear.

Point 1 can be neasured with your SG.
Point 2 can be seen when shining a flashlight at the back of your carboy.
When perfectly clear it is ready to bottle.

Luc

IMO, it's ready to bottle as soon as it's clear, but that does not mean that it is ready to drink.

I agree with luc. there are some benefits to bulk aging though. but if its clear and the sg is good there is nothing wrong with bottling it. it will actually age faster in a bottle (as long as ur not using syn corks) then in the carboy. so it will push up your drinking time! Just make sure you degass it very well before bottling. I use an enolamatic so i dont need to worry bout the corks flyin!!!

If the wine is not clear, it is that way for a reason. The reason is that there is stuff floating in it. If you drink it with stuff floating in it then you taste the stuff. I have tasted the stuff after it settles and it ain't good. So if you want your wine to taste good, let the stuff settle and get rid if it. :b

Latest posts

Back