Does inverted sugar read different gravity?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_Guy_Brad

Reaction score
Well i finally tried making inverted sugar for the first time for my blueberry i just started. Trouble is my initial SG reading is really odd.

I used 8lbs of sugar for a 5.5gal batch which by my calculations should raise the sg to about 1.065 but when i took my initial reading it only is showing 1.028.

The sugar was completely dissolved and after inverted with lemon juice i mixed it well in the carboy and added additional water to bring it up to the 5.5gal mark.

Full recipe

5.5 gal size
15lb blueberries
8lb sugar
super ferment- 7tsp (mix of nutrient and energizer)
pectic enzyme- 1/4 tsp of the liquid
acid blend- 7tsp

the addition of water will have dropped your expected SG down. Also your must may now be warmer than anticipated causing your hydrometer to be inaccurate. What was the must temp when you checked the SG?

If your wine is dry it could be below .990 but your hydrometer can not read it. Add a small amount to get the wine above .990 then calculate.

4 ounces of sugar by weight will raise wine .010 per gallon

the addition of water will have dropped your expected SG down. Also your must may now be warmer than anticipated causing your hydrometer to be inaccurate. What was the must temp when you checked the SG?

72-75deg at readings and total volume is 5.5gal so thats not it.

1lb=.044sg/gal as far as i have read so my math is .044x8(lb)=.352/5.5(gal)=.064 making the supposed gravity to be 1.064 from the sugar alone. so its just confusing me how its only reading 1.028

If your wine is dry it could be below .990 but your hydrometer can not read it. Add a small amount to get the wine above .990 then calculate.

4 ounces of sugar by weight will raise wine .010 per gallon

im not sure what your talking about here^^ im not anywhere near dry with my readings 1.028

Latest posts

Back