Do I add K meta when I transfer to carboy from primary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TENNISTOWINE

Reaction score
I am making Banana wine. The SG at 1.0 has stopped. I am going to transfer to carboy from primary. Do I add any K meta and how much, 1/4 tsp? What is the way to transfer into carboy? I use a crock for primary and am transfering into glass carboy. Can I use a cup and strainer/funnel? Thanks.

How long has it been in primary? With a wine kit you would normally give it another 7-12 days in secondary fermentation. It will usually drop from 1.000 to 0.998 or less. After this you would then stabilize and fine.

It has been in primary 8 days. This is not a kit. Do I add k meta when I transfer into carboy/secondary? Thanks.

I would not add any K-Meta now. I would give it another week to see if it will drop a bit more. Transferring to secondary stirs things up and adds O2 which the yeast need about now to finish things out

Verify that fermentation is complete - then add k-meta and sorbate (if backsweetening) to stabilize your wine.

Good advise on the above posts. If you want to be sure it's complete measure your sg three days in a row. If it hasn't changed you are good to go.

Yes as above
Now if you are making 5or6 gallon batch the yes 1/4tsp. The add same every 90 days

I am making Banana wine. The SG at 1.0 has stopped. I am going to transfer to carboy from primary. Do I add any K meta and how much, 1/4 tsp? What is the way to transfer into carboy? I use a crock for primary and am transfering into glass carboy. Can I use a cup and strainer/funnel? Thanks.

1. Personally I would transfer to a carboy, but not add any K-meta at this time. Why not? Because I would be expecting/hoping that the sg would drop down to the .992 - .995 area. But I have absolutely no experience with banana wine, so no idea what a good final sg might be.

2. Personally I would use a siphon to transfer the wine. A standard siphon rod & hose, or (in my case) an auto-siphon and hose. But yeah you could use a cup (32 oz or a litre?) and funnel. The word carboy makes me think of a minimum 3 gallons, but you may mean a one gallon jug If you're doing more than a gallon then I'm pretty sure that this might be kinda tedious.

3. As Tom mentioned, 1/4 tsp is good for 5-6 gallons.

Steve

Latest posts

Back