Disaster strikes!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petey_c

Reaction score
So, I'm on my first batch of wine (WE Pinot Noir). Good OG (1.1), fermentation started about 5 hours later. First rack gravity about .993. Whilst racking into the carboy, my primary slides off the (Samsung) dryer spraying about 4.5 gals of wine all over (and I mean ALLLL over) my laundry room. Spent almost 4 hours cleaning up (before my wife came home). Managed to save about 1.5 gals in three growlers. I'll look later on to find a smaller single vessel to finish.
Ordered a replacement kit and a Spagnols Super Tuscan to help ease me through the pain. I've got some friends at work who are wine-rs, but they've only been using the WE kits. I guess I'm the sacrificial virgin for the Spagnols kits...
Started a WE Cab a little while ago. OG is .082 pitch temp was 72.5 °F.
Okay, enough whining...

I feel your pain

At least you never had broken glass from a carboy to clean as well. Lifes lessons are not always pleasant. You will like the RJS kit. Not much different than WE

cheers

We feel your pain. Think most of us have had a oops, tho maybe not quite that big of one. Few years ago one of the members here had their workbench collapse with several carboys on it. My biggest mess has probably been an overflowing primary. Most of the time mine are over a concrete floor, easy cleanup. Good luck with yours, Arne.

I know I talk too much, but I can't resist!

Do not feel bad over spilled wine, feel proud! Think of it as a right of passage. In my circle, there has been a tradition of naming your winery after the first disaster.

Mop-N-Glow
Years back, one winemaking couple crushed their grapes and took it home. They placed the must in their cellar, on an old pool table thinking that this would be safe.

Well, nothing is safe when you have a 2 year old in the house. The kid knocked over their carboy which crash landed (glass) onto their basement tile floor. They heard the crash and came running down the stairs to find the kid (completely unharmed, thank God) on the pool table crying like no tomorrow, glass and wine all over the floor.

Thinking quickly, and having an empty carboy they planned to use for racking, they took out a sponge mop that just so happened to be brand new and still in it's wrapper. They spent the better part of 2 hours sponge mopping the must from the floor, into the carboy. In total, they only lost about a gallon. They let it settle, bought a new carboy, and racked the must before adding yeast. Word is that the wine still turned out OK.

They told me the story and henceforth they were know as the mop-n-glow winery..

Dropped Bottle
Yet another person I know went to take is carboy of must home. As he went to lift his glass carboy off of the concrete floor, he did not realize that he put his hand on a yellow jacket that was sitting on the outside of the carboy.

He got the carboy fully lifted when that little bugger stung him in the hand. Reflexes kicked in and he immediately let go of the carboy. the carboy (glass), filled with 5 gallons of must, fell 5 feet and smashed against the concrete floor with extreme prejudice. Within a matter of seconds, most of the must had found its way into the dry well.

Afterwards, he ranted about how I had trained the insect to sting him (you got to know how we kid each other).

Henceforth, he was known as the "Dropped Bottle Winery".

Then there is me
My very first batch of wine I ever made was 10 gallons of chardonnay, and 10 gallons of cabernet. I make wine from fresh grapes mostly because the kits available at the time (and unlike today) yielded something resembling pond scum in August.

All went well. I had the grapes crushed, through primary fermentation, and pressed. I had placed the 4 carboys on this laundry bench that my father-in-law had made.

The next week, we went on vacation to Mexico for 10 days.

When we got back from vacation, I was eager to check on the wine. I dropped the bags into the kitchen and noticed a very strong wine smell. I ran into the cellar only to find that the laundry bench had collapsed and 3 of the 4 carboys had smashed. the room had a dry well, so all of that wine was gone. Nothing left but dry shards of glass.

By some miracle, one of the carboys had landed on its side and was still in tact. The stopper was still in place and, even though it was laying on its side for perhaps a week, had only lost about an ounce of wine! I righted the carboy, kept it on the floor, and the wine (chardonnay) turned out just fine.

Still, I had to cry. Grapes are only ripe once a year. It was going to be a long wait until I could make wine again.

Henceforth, I was known as the "Lucky Bastard" winery.

My point in all of this is to make you feel better knowing that something like this happens to all of us. It is part of this play we are all acting in. That being said....

might I suggest.. "The Shaking Maytag" winery?????

Last edited:
Oooh, ouch, petey. That smarts. Have not lost a batch myself yet (knock on wood), but have had close calls. I also formerly used the washing machine as a table, but fortunately I was able to put a small counter + Ikea cabinets in the laundry room, too. Much better setup.

Pain is how we know we are still living. Sorry to hear about your troubles but without the adventure life would be boring. Like john said, it is a rite of passage along with broken hydrometers and wine volcanoes.

I like your remedy however!

I too feel your pain. When I started years ago I made mead only from excess honey from my honey production. A convenient way to utilize the left overs. In time I began to look forward to my evening glass of mead. I was attending Collage and sold all but my washings wholesale. I had started my next years mead and all was going a usual. As I was racking the mead the doorbell rang, I placed the syphon tube into the lower carboy and went to answer the door. When I returned I discovered the tube had come out of the carboy, and siphoned all my mead down the floor drain. My heart was broken. I had to make a years worth of mead last two years.

Worst spill for me was a 1.5L bottle that I dropped onto the garage floor. Even that - more the glass than the wine - took a good hour to clean.

I've got a good number of RJS kits under my belt. Three have been from their Winery Series, one was the Super Tuscan. In the WS I liked the Cab Sav, then the Tuscan and then the Washington Merlot in that order. I would consider them all excellent. Hope you find that you like your Super Tuscan once it is ready to drink.

Knock on wood, I've never had a major mishap like a broken carboy, but I was racking to a bottling bucket one night, I wasn't watching the bucket as I was holding the auto siphon. As I was standing there, I felt my socks getting wet, as was the kitchen rug I was standing on! Lo and behold I had the petcock turned on and wine was running right out as fast as it was racking in. Lesson learned, always make sure it is turned OFF!!!!!!! Dale.

I feel your pain

At least you never had broken glass from a carboy to clean as well. Lifes lessons are not always pleasant. You will like the RJS kit. Not much different than WE

cheers
That's exactly what I was thinking while I was washing out the carboy. It could've been worse.

Knock on wood, I've never had a major mishap like a broken carboy, but I was racking to a bottling bucket one night, I wasn't watching the bucket as I was holding the auto siphon. As I was standing there, I felt my socks getting wet, as was the kitchen rug I was standing on! Lo and behold I had the petcock turned on and wine was running right out as fast as it was racking in. Lesson learned, always make sure it is turned OFF!!!!!!! Dale.
I've had that happen a couple of times when racking to a bottling bucket. I had to color code the handle so I was less likely to do it again.

I know I talk too much, but I can't resist!

Do not feel bad over spilled wine, feel proud! Think of it as a right of passage. In my circle, there has been a tradition of naming your winery after the first disaster.
Now, you got me thinking...

Oooh, ouch, petey. That smarts. Have not lost a batch myself yet (knock on wood), but have had close calls. I also formerly used the washing machine as a table, but fortunately I was able to put a small counter + Ikea cabinets in the laundry room, too. Much better setup.

The washing machine has more of a flat top. Plus I've got some slip resistant padding, but I think I'll put it in the slop sink.

Are you sure that OG is right? Awfully low.
wine4fun, I added about a quart of water to rinse out the grape skins bag. Correcting for temp added about .003 or so. OG readings were from 1.08 to 1.1. I felt it was a little low, but wasn't sure where the low readings were coming from.

I gotcha. The 1.100 sounds closer to what I would expect.

I got an ugly one.... I was pressing my Cab grapes and had my Brute cans sitting on empty Brute cans flipped over to kerp them elevated for easy racking... Put too much wine in one of them and heard a crash behind me. One of the Brute cans collapsed from the weight... Lost about 20 gal wine in that Brute!

I got an ugly one.... I was pressing my Cab grapes and had my Brute cans sitting on empty Brute cans flipped over to kerp them elevated for easy racking... Put too much wine in one of them and heard a crash behind me. One of the Brute cans collapsed from the weight... Lost about 20 gal wine in that Brute!

I betta that there was a moment of cursing at that point ?

Latest posts

Back