Mosti Mondiale HELP!!! Alljuice Concern

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
appleman said:
I know Mosti changed instructions to rack sooner. It helps prevent ... off smells in the wine.

Now this makes no sense to me! If racking off the gross lees will prevent off smells in the wine, why does Mosti say to rack all the sediment to the secondary?

Wine kits don't really have gross lees. They have much smaller amount of lees than fresh fruit. You transfer the sedinent in the first racking to provide nutrients for the yeast. This makes sure the yeast are strong enough to complete the fermentation and not stress out. If they stress out, they will throw off-smells.

Crap! I hope everything thing will be ok. I was not able to Rack yesterday. I'll rack as soon as I get home to night.

I've been stirring it everyday really well...until there are some bubbles on top of the must. And the fermentation seems to still be going strong.

I'll update everyone on what the SG is and how the racking goes.

EDIT: edit is in bold above. I forgot the word "not".

Edited by: ithink2020

Don't worry, everything will be great. Your SG will likely be between 1.030 and 1.035 - perfectly fine. I think you will need to fill the carboy the beginning of the wider area of the carboy to allow enough space for bubbling. Store the extra in a jug until needed for topping up. Be sure to fit an airlock on it also. This change is just a tweak Mosti has recommended to insure no off-smells as mentioned above. I didn't have any issues with this kit - even racked at the lower SG.

geocorn said:
Wine kits don't really have gross lees. They have much smaller amount of lees than fresh fruit. You transfer the sedinent in the first racking to provide nutrients for the yeast. This makes sure the yeast are strong enough to complete the fermentation and not stress out. If they stress out, they will throw off-smells.

George, does that hold true in fruit wines if the fruit is in a straining bag?
Edited by: Joan

I believe the finer the straining bag the more it would be less of a problem as more solids are trapped in the bag. As an aside, there are some fruits that are have the ability to get through finer mesh bags such as bananas when broken down by the pectic enzyme. The more solids you have in your wine the more you will want to rack off it as those solids.

Okie doke! Thanks Wade!
smiley1.gif

Ok, I just got done racking my Pinot (and Gr. Apple Resiling) into their carboys.

The SG of the Pinot was 1.010 on the line. I made sure to get all of the sediment. I racked it up to the shoulder of the carboy, then put the rest into a gallon jug for topping off later. I was shocked at how much was left.

Here are some photos.

1. Here is the foam cap that I described that I saw the morning after starting the wine:
20080723_190806_IMG_3433_Small.JPG

2. Here is after I stirred the wine:
20080723_191006_IMG_3434_Small.JPG

3. After Dinner that night, this is what we came home to:
20080723_191202_IMG_3436_Small.JPG

4. Here is the the Green Apple Resiling and Pinot Nior after I got done racking them to glass:
20080723_191503_IMG_3446_Small.JPG

Wines from Left to Right:

WE IM Green Apple Resiling
MM AJ Pinot Nior
MM AJ Pinot Nior - extra for topping off
Welche's Concord
Welche's White Grape Raspberry
Strawberry

Edited by: ithink2020

About the G. A. Resiling. It is an IM Kit and it has a large F-Pack that needs to be added later. I was concerned until my wife reminded me about the f-pack.

I'm really not concerned. The starting SG was right where it was suppose to be when I started.

Ithink, I had the same fermenting action you did minus the overflow! (If not for your warning, it would have happened to me too!!! Thanks for that!) It's been amazing! The PN was fermenting at a very fast clip so I didn't check the SG until last night. It was already at 1.015 and I completely missed the 1.040-1.050 racking mark! My kit didn't come with energizer so I added my own to make sure it fermented out and holy cow! It went crazy!! It's still chugging away in a carboy. I am astounded at the action.

It tastes amazing! I can't begin to imagine how delicious it will be 2 years from now!
smiley14.gif

Mine Fermented faster than I thought it would also. I checked the SG Sat and Sunday and it was at 0.991 both days. It has only been on the oak for 4 days, so I'm going to leave it until Tuesday or Wed.

My kit did not come with any yeast nutrient either. I didn't add any in, but it appears to have fermented out completely. I have been stirring every day since it has been in glass, because of the oak.

LOL I don't think we have any worries about fermenting to dry! A train could stop it!
smiley36.gif

I'm going to be racking the Pinot tonight and then letting it sit for at least 4 months. I don't have an extra Carboy, so I'm going to rack it into a clean Fermenting bucket, then back into the Carboy after I clean it.

The instructions say not to add the clearing agents, until 8-10 days before bottling.

However, should I degass now or wait until after the bulk aging...when I'm getting ready to put the clearing agents in?

Joan, How's yours doing?

Thanks!

I haven't rechecked the SG but it worked steady for 3 more days then stopped. I'm sure it's reached dry. I will let it sit on the oak (stirring every day, of course!) for the full 10-12 days and bulk age too.

According to what I read, do everything up to adding the fining stuff in step #3 so, you would degass and add the k-meta packet then add the Siligel and Liquigel 8-10 days before bottling.

This wine is going to be great, isn't it??
smiley4.gif
I'm thinking it's a sure bet for a wine contest or two in a couple of years!
smiley2.gif

Edited by: Joan

Im not sure of the instructions for this kit as I havent done 1 with the new instructions but degassing is fine as long as the fermentation is done. Im not sure if you are supposed to rack off sediment with the fining agents included as some need all the sediment to work properly and some dont so pay close attention to that aspect of the instructions or your wine will not clear properly.

Just going by the directions.....the directions say to rack off the sediment, splashing as you go, stir, degas, and add k-meta/water. If you want to bulk age, check sulfite levels as it ages, and add fining agents 8-10 days before bottling.

Then I personally would degas after racking off sediment and then again right before adding fining agents.

But if you check your sulfite levels when it's time to fine it and they are where they're supposed to be, you wouldn't have to degas.

Back