Different shades of wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmcca27966

Reaction score
I did a first racking of 2 batches of wine 2 days ago, one is white grape/peach and another is concord/red. The white grape peach is cloudy as I expected however the top 1/3 of the carboy seems to be a warmer cloudy peachy color while the other 3/3 seems to be cloudy white color. It is also happening with the red grape which seems to be darker on the top 3rd of the carboy.
I did top them off with like wines.
Is this normal?

I did a first racking of 2 batches of wine 2 days ago, one is white grape/peach and another is concord/red. The white grape peach is cloudy as I expected however the top 1/3 of the carboy seems to be a warmer cloudy peachy color while the other 3/3 seems to be cloudy white color. It is also happening with the red grape which seems to be darker on the top 3rd of the carboy.
I did top them off with like wines.
Is this normal?

Yes it is normal, the sediment is settling out, the bottom half will look cloudier while the top half will start to clear, what is happening is the sediment is falling and will settle on the bottom of the carboy.

Latest posts

Back