Other Did my local FoP skimp on the degass?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsiddall

Reaction score
I made my first few kits at a local ferment-on-prem place. They make you bottle according to the manufacturer schedule -- 6 weeks in my case.

At the 6 month mark I opened a split of RJS WS Super Tuscan and poured a glass through a vinturi since I figured it needed all the help it could get! I noticed some pink foam on the surface that I have never seen with commercial wine.

So I capped the end of the bottle with my thumb, gave it a few good shakes, and got a significant "pffft" when I let my thumb off. Hmmm...

I tasted the "shaken" wine and it was better than at bottling but still not anything I would call good.

Now I have a few questions:

1. Does all this indicate it was this not properly degassed? I asked the FoP place about it when I made the kit and they told me they vacuum degass all kits but I have no idea how thorough they are.

2. If yes to the above then is there anything I can do about it now?

3. If I do nothing but let the bottles age another year or two will I end up with a nice well aged wine or does some residual CO2 in the bottle mess with the aging process also?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I am certainly no expert, but let me take a crack:

1. Yes, I certainly think that all indications are that the wine was not adequately degassed.

2. Yes, you could uncork all the bottles into a carboy, and either age it or vacuum degas it. When the batch was adequately degassed, you could rebottle. Alternately, you could try to degas each bottle with, say, a Vacuvin and/or shaking.

3. This is probably the most important question. Unfortunately, I have no idea of the correct answer!

With my first wine I noticed if I shook it, it would foam. Almost get a beer like head on it. I then tried a commercial wine and got a similar result. So I didn't worry about it anymore

I too have experienced the effects of insufficient degassing. A slight "pop" when pulling the cork, a rather harsh mouth-feel and the noticeable bubbles in the glass. The result of some fermentation restarting, poor stabilization or something else???? No doubt a misstep on my part. I've expended a lot of corks and in addition to patience have learned to be sure all is well before bottling. Using a homemade device similar to a butter churn plunger I perform what is essentially a radical splash-racking (done in a 6 gal. juice bucket) when I do a rack-over every several months. Careful not to incorporate any air in the process.

You should notice small bubbles in the glass if the wine is not adequately degassed. Foam itself doesn't mean anything necessarily. As far as aging is concerned, a small amount of residual CO2 should not affect the wine much . If there is still a significant amount of CO2 in the wine, though, you could affect how the wine will age.

I have never experienced foam in dry still wine. Take a bottle back to the bop and have them tell you that it's their best work.

Thanks for the replies.

My first observation was a light pink line of extremely fine bubbles around the edge of the glass. I did not notice any distinct fizziness to the wine as you would expect from even a lightly carbonated beverage when I first drank some.

So what is a good test to know if a wine is fully degassed? I have a vaccuum pump I can use to drop down to about 25 inches of mercury. Should I be able to get any bubbles out of room temperature wine at very high vacuum, or is that even a valid test?

Back