Degassing with brake bleeder when to top up?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super_coo

Junior
Reaction score
Hi I've just transfered my kit to a clean carboy and added the metabisulphite, sorbate and kieselsol as instructed. Then I stirred vigorously as directed but instead of doing this method of stirring 6 times over the next 24 hours I wanted to degas with my brake bleeder I had bought. But I am thinking I should top up with water/wine right awayto near 2" below the airlock bung before I attempt to degas with the brake bleeder is that correct?

Last edited:
Hi I've just transfered my kit to a clean carboy and added the metabisulphite, sorbate and kieselsol as instructed. Then I stirred vigorously as directed but instead of doing this method of stirring 6 times over the next 24 hours I wanted to degas with my brake bleeder I had bought. But I am thinking I should top up with water/wine right awayto near 2" below the airlock bung before I attempt to degas with the brake bleeder is that correct?

No, don't top off first. When you degas, you may get lots of bubbles, and if there is no headspace, you may suck liquid into your brake bleeder. Better to have some room for the bubbles to dissipate.

Yup, what Paul says. Otherwise you'll end up with a volcano!

Thanks guys glad i asked first.

I found that if I interlock my fingers and squeeze with my palms it's not that strenuous at all.

Yep, what those guys have said. Unfortunately I learned the lesson myself first time I used my hand vacuum pump.

BTW, for me the hand pump degassing process takes about 2-3 days ; I can top off after the first day of pumping but guessing it is not really necessary as long as you're keeping a vacuum in the head space.

Latest posts

Back