Degass in a Primary Bucket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pracz

Reaction score
Hi all -

Yet another question for the group!

I am ready to degass, stabilize and clarify a couple of kits. Back years ago I used to rack the wine off the sediment into the primary bucket for this process. I found this way to be easier to degass and stir without getting a wine volcano (although back then I also used to stir by hand). After I incorporate all the clarifiers and get it all stirred up I transfer back to glass.

Do any of you see a problem with this method? I would assume that it would degas just as well in the primary as it would in a carboy (utilizing the mix-stir and a drill). Just curious as to other opinions on this.

Thanks,

Pete

Racking back to the open bucket and degassing there is still a recommended practice.

I think a lot of people do that, although I don't think it is exactly a 'recommended practice'. Others feel that one extra racking is an extra step that can be avoided, and that there might be some oxidation in the open primary.

Steve

Since youll be adding sulfite youll be fine with doing the primary stirring. Just dont leave it in there for any extra time.

I also have done it that way. The last 2 kits I did I used a cordless drill and a stir attatchment. I am going back to the old fashioned way of hand stirring. While yes it is alot more work, I feel I can degas better and actually quicker. I have never stirred round and round though I stir back and forth. It has worked great in the past and will again on the rest of the kits I do.

I believe Cpfan prefers this method also. Do whatever works best for you. I like the electric vacuum pump my self for doing just about any wine making task myself.

Latest posts

Back