Degas or stabilizer first?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmales

Junior
Reaction score
Do i need to degas by stirring it first... or do I put the stabilizer in first??? Thanks

So I just went over the instructions again and I don't see a stabilizer. The instructions say to degas and then add the flokul and kiesosol and then the chitosan... any thoughts. thanks

Not sure what you are making there, but if "flokul" hapens to be a combination of Potassium Metabisulfite and Potassium Sorbate, you are right on track. The postassium compounds are the stabilizers.

Not sure what you are making there, but if "flokul" hapens to be a combination of Potassium Metabisulfite and Potassium Sorbate, you are right on track. The postassium compounds are the stabilizers.

I have a package of Metabisulphite and a pack for flokul and one with keisosol. I also have a sorbate which the instructions suggest I add at the very end of the process. I started the process of degassing by stirring (it takes forever) and this is what brought on the question... does adding a stabilizer at this stage make the degassing easier??? thanks

Honestly I said stabilize first as that is the norm. If you started by partially degassing first I think you'll be ok. Another reason to stabilize first is so your wine is protected against oxidation.

oh. I meant to mention.. it is a cab/sauv kit
Knowing which of the 1000 Cab Sauv kits might help, especially as you are using a term (flokul) not normally used in the kits discussed here.

BTW, I googled "flokul wine" and it is probably bentonite, which is a clearing agent normally added before the yeast in the kits that I'm familiar with.

Normally stabilization is the addition of potassium metabisulphite (aka K-meta) and potassium sorbate. Although some kits use the term stabilizer for the sorbate. It sounds like your kit, separates these two additives.

Personally my order is K-meta, degas, sorbate (if required), more degassing probably, and then the clearing agents.

About 8-10 years ago, some Spagnols kits had you adding the bentonite post fermentation. I don't recall the exact order, but I do recall that the bentonite required lots of stirring, so I guess I was degassing after adding the bentonite. Sorry I don't recall where the bentonite fit with the K-meta

Steve

Last edited:
Knowing which of the 1000 Cab Sauv kits might help, especially as you are using a term (flokul) not normally used in the kits discussed here.

BTW, I googled "flokul wine" and it is probably bentonite, which is a clearing agent normally added before the yeast in the kits that I'm familiar with.

Normally stabilization is the addition of potassium metabisulphite (aka K-meta) and potassium sorbate. Although some kits use the term stabilizer for the sorbate. It sounds like your kit, separates these two additives.

Personally my order is K-meta, degas, sorbate (if required), more degassing probably, and then the clearing agents.

About 8-10 years ago, some Spagnols kits had you adding the bentonite post fermentation. I don't recall the exact order, but I do recall that the bentonite required lots of stirring, so I guess I was degassing after adding the bentonite. Sorry I don't recall where the bentonite fit with the K-meta

Steve

I agree with what cpfan said.....add the k meta first.....stir really well, then add the sorbate, and stir really well again.....and that stirring action, especially if using the drill stirrer, aids in the degassing process as well....

"flokul" sounds like some trade name for a flocculating product which like bentonite would make suspended particles in a colloidal solution drop out of suspension and so help clear the wine...

Latest posts

Back