Cellar Craft Degas after the fact?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOESILVA401

Reaction score
Jumping right I to this hobby, I'm not sure I fully degassed my wines. I did my first kit (Douro) by plastic spoon, and all kits after by using the drill bit for 5 minutes when adding all the stabilizing packets. My question is, although my wines have been sitting in my basement in aging/clarifying mode, is it ever too late to degas? Or better yet, is there anything wrong in degassing a second time later in the process?

Thanks!

Jumping right I to this hobby, I'm not sure I fully degassed my wines. I did my first kit (Douro) by plastic spoon, and all kits after by using the drill bit for 5 minutes when adding all the stabilizing packets. My question is, although my wines have been sitting in my basement in aging/clarifying mode, is it ever too late to degas? Or better yet, is there anything wrong in degassing a second time later in the process?

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with degassing more than once, provided you don't stir so hard that you pump a lot of oxygen into the wine. This is more important after the wine has been degassed the first time.

I use a vacuum pump degasser. Before I bottle, I always hook up the vacuum once more to see if any more CO2 will come out. You are different because you have to stir to degas, but that is OK.

Just don't try to degas again until your wine has been racked off all sediment. Otherwise, you are stirring the sediment back into the wine.

Any time I rack my wine I use my vacuum pump (allinone) but I do still use my drill attachment to take out the meat of the C02

Any time I rack my wine I use my vacuum pump (allinone) but I do still use my drill attachment to take out the meat of the C02

That works for me, too. Sometimes, when the CO2 just doesn't seem to want to break loose, I will hit the wine with the drill stirrer, then go immediately to the vacuum pump. Maybe it is just me, but it seems to help.

Similarly, if you rotate the carboy under vacuum, so you get some agitation of the wine, it seems to help get the CO2 flowing out.

Having the temperature in the mid 70'sF is a really big help.

If your wine is in aging stage, and towards the bottling time how is going to be in the 70's? I thought the wine was only kept in the 70's during the ferm process then brought to low 60's during the later stages...? Thanks, JS

If your wine is in aging stage, and towards the bottling time how is going to be in the 70's? I thought the wine was only kept in the 70's during the ferm process then brought to low 60's during the later stages...? Thanks, JS

Warm it up right before you bottle. Degas after it gets up to mid 70'sF.

After bottling, cool it back down.

Latest posts

Back