dealing with pulp

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So after 3 weeks I have this. There is little visible fermentation happening, will rack today or tomorrow, and use a fine straining bag, or sterilized stocking. Let the pulp drip freely into a small primary, then maybe gently squeeze it. The pulp here is what settled after initial straining through fine cheesecloth. It really hasnt compressed at all in 3 weeks. I made a couple marks on the carboy to monitor, and nearly no visible change. I figure there will be near 1 gallon of lost volume, so am anticipating using a 3, and 1 gallon carboy instead of watering down to top up.

That's exactly what mine looked like, but in the bucket. Have about an inch in the bottom of the carboy this morning, so I think it will be a rack, wait a few months, rack again...eventually it will stop dropping sediment. That's why I'm making it now, so I can bottle about this time next year.

So I decided to accept the loss, and not fight to save as much as I could. I racked the best/clearest, into a 3 and a 1 gallon secondary. Disturbed NO sediment, and after humming and hawing, rinsed the rest of it down the sink. I lost maybe a pint of not bad wine, and a gallon and a half of slop/sludge lees. Glad I walked away from it, it would have just left be dealing with a lesser amount of crap in a month or so. Now my wine is opaque, well on its way to clearing up nicely. Added campden tablets, and fresh sulfited solution in the airlocks. Done for now. :h

Latest posts

Back