Dealing with overripened grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the temp? Have you been giving it a stir every week or so?

The ambient room temperature is 69*F-70*F, but I stirred only once after the initial racking. I guess I thought stirring was more important when fermenting in barrels, but sort of optional when in glass. Would it hurt the wine if I add more of the MLB now? I am just not sure whether or not the MLF is stuck, or it simply continues at a slow pace.

It is a good practice with MLF to stir every week or so gently to resuspend everything. More MLB won't hurt. Did you add nutrients?

It is a good practice with MLF to stir every week or so gently to resuspend everything. More MLB won't hurt. Did you add nutrients?

Thanks. I'll be stirring every week or so from now on. Yes, I added the recommended dose of Opti-Malo Plus around two months ago when I pitched the MLB culture. The harshness of the environment was my original concern, which is why it probably makes sense that the progression through the MLF is so sluggish (if not stuck), even with the CH16 yeast.

Latest posts

Back