De-Stemmer and press??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LCW

Reaction score
Is there an affordable destemmer and press made for a small home wine maker? If so where would I look?LCW

Define affordable. New small presses run in the $200-300 range. Destemmers, IIRC $250-300, and crusher/destemmers $350-$600 depending on if you want painted or stainless.

I've seen used units of all on Craigslist for a considerable discount, but you need to keep your eyes open. Personally I use an antique press my grandmother picked up years ago for me for $30.

There are quite a few vendors out there. You may want to google it. We have used winemakers depot and morewine. Also there are wine equipment/supplies vendors here, just click on the tab "forums" then select vendors list.

Is there an affordable destemmer and press made for a small home wine maker? If so where would I look?LCW

LCW,

If you don't mind me asking, how muck wine do you plan to make a year? In other words, what are your requirements?

For smaller quantities, a milk crate does a nice job of destemming. Just rub the grapes across the bottom and the grapes will fall through. I've seen some pictures of people who make a screen mesh with holes the size of the grapes to do the same thing by hand.

You can crush them in a bucket with a 4x4 piece of wood. Or use your feet. :)

For a press, as others have said, you can use two buckets with holes drilled in one to let the juice escape. I've used one of those commercial yellow mop buckets with a mop ringer to do some pressing. You don't get a ton of pressure on it but it works ok. Put the grapes in a 5 gallon paint strainer bag in the wringer and press.

First of all thanks everone I generally do about 20-25 gallons a yr.LCW

Loving Greg's idea. I also hear that if you freeze the grapes on the stems, they are easier to remove. Combining the two might be worth pursuing.

I have also heard you can freeze grapes and run them through a crusher set loose and the grapes will come off the stems. Then you pluck the stems out. Never have done either, but looking for a faster way than hand picking.

Used wine equipment never comes up on CL or classifieds here. Maybe a carboy or two, but even those are priced near new. A new manual crusher destemmer is $400 plus shipping.

For 25 gallons a year, it not worth the cost IMHO. I make way more than that and I still do it all by hand.

BTW, if you use wood to crush, be sure it is not treated lumber.

Thanks Jim you're probably right.How is everything in Fayetteville we reside in the Crossville area.LCW

Thanks Jim you're probably right.How is everything in Fayetteville we reside in the Crossville area.LCW

It's just as corrupt as ever! The sheriff busted a still operation last week, and our recently forced-out county water superintendent was arrested by TBI for theft of $60,000. Just another week in paradise!

:)

Latest posts

Back