DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, it's tough to squeeze much mango flavor out of just a few mangos. Like James said, it takes a lot! Or, you can do what I did and use some mango extract or flavoring to boost the taste.

oreoman: This is as close as you'll get to a dedicated DB thread. Most of the variations involve using different fruit or fruit combinations. Not much else changes. If you got the pfd file attached to the OP of this thread, then you've just about read it all. Sorry about all the superfluous chatter, but it just comes along with the nature of any forum.

As far as the amount of fruit goes, it's up to you. I find that the original recipe has plenty of fruit flavor. Some like theirs a bit fuller. The only way you'll know which you are is to make two batches. Try the original first, I'd suggest. If you think it's too light, double the fruit.

So I need another 45 lbs to make 6 - gallons?

Good thing they are frozen. I am going to have to save up a while for that.
60 lbs. at $5.88 for 2.5 lbs. = $141.88!:mny

Thanks for the reply james.
I knew that it had a light flavor, but I didn't realize it took that much fruit to bring it out. You just saved me from making a mistake.

well i have never made a mistake...roflmao..
it seems as i said before...the lighter the color the fruit, the more it takes to get the flavor.
as in peach,mango,fig,cantaloupe,pear,apples.

Mines been on sparkloid for 3 days today and I am crystal clear 9 days into starting total. I still have to use the sorbate and then backsweeten in a few more days but everything is going good. I tried what James was saying and let the wine clear before using the sorbate. And all I got to say about DB at this point is that has got to be the prettiest color of red I have seen. I still haven't tasted it but if it is as good as it looks then I will diffently be hooked.

Start date 1/5/14

ImageUploadedByWine Making1389712360.015207.jpg Well that fermented pretty quickly-- today it's under 1.0. Took out the nylon bag which was basically empty except for some small shreds of berry crud. It's still bubbling so I am going to give it a few more days to finish fermenting and settling down before I rack and degas. It's really not red though-- more like a bright neon pink (maybe from the added strawberries?).

I am VERY new to this and attempting DDB; my plan for the extra (after topping off) is to measure what is left then make just enough white grape must to finish a gallon, adjust the SG and then blend the two for a gallon of lighter blush wine.

Dave - Thanks for putting the DB recipe out on the forum. I've gone over the 27 pages on this thread and I think I've got it (LOL). I've been making kits for the past 2 years and I'm ready to branch out. I plan on starting this soon, but will begin with a 3 Gal batch. I'm going to take your advice and back sweeten it with 1/2 cups of sugar per gallon. Our Costco carries the Triple Berry Blend in 48oz bags. I'll post my results soon.

DB is going great guns! How many days will it take to get to <1.000? (step 3 in the instructions?)

barb, that depends on what yeast your using, what your sg was after adding sugar, etc.
it should not take more then 5 to 8 at least for me, some times it takes less.

I am in the process of a 12 gallon batch of DB that I used double the fruit in. That was 24 lbs. of frozen Triple Berry.

The SG just dropped below 1.0 and after removing the fruit bag and squeezing all the juice out I decided to weigh the remainder, and ended up with just 4.29 lbs. of seeds/skins & whatever out of 24 lbs.

I just found that interesting and thought others might too.

The lesson I will take from this is, it is VERY difficult to squeeze 24 lbs. of fruit in a single bag!
I will always from this point on use no more than 8 lbs. in one bag. Just sayin'.

Does anyone Oak thier DB?
I have a new bag of Heavy American Oak 2 g.

I also have a American White Oak Barrel and I am really, really tempted to run it the through the barrel for a few weeks.

but my fear is Getting 5 gallons of over oaked DB!

From what I have gathered so far on the forums:

The warmer the temperature, the faster the primary fermenting time, But with that being said the faster the ferment the hotter the taste, the cooler the ferment the slower the ferment in primary and results in a fruitier flavor.

Elmer I think dave is playing with some oaking now....not sure.
I have not oaked anything, other then my smoker...

I tried some oak last year. I think it was meduim toasted French. As an early drinker, the tart fruitness of the DB seemed to trump the oak. I have not tried it again. Like I always say, every time I try something new with the DB, my wife clammers for the original. I do have some untoasted American oak on hand. Maybe I should try to over-oak a batch and see if it is possible.

Give it a shot, Elmer. Let us know how it goes. I'm getting ready to start a new batch, so I may join in the oakiness.

New here. This looks great. I plan on making it by next month. How long of bottle aging before drinking? I think I read okay right away but 3 month is recommended. What do users think?

It's very good right away. Better after a week or two in the bottle. Seems to drop off after about six months.

People have different tastes. You'll have to space it out to see when you like it best---after the first batch, that is. The first one will pull a Houdini on you! :n

Back