DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Sounds like your yeast is happy. I wouldn't give it another stir with a drill attached thing, but you didn't hurt anything.

FWIW: I have made dragons blood stirring twice a day, once a day, only at the start and end, lid on and airlocked, covered with a towel. Pretty much every combinstion possible. They all turn out just fine.

That makes me feel better cmason. Thanks for the info. I thought it would be fine but it still makes me think the yeasties would have been happier (maybe even more productive) with better stirring. Its a learning process and I'm having fun learning.

You're doing great and almost home. That's a nice slow ferment andI bet it's going to be really flavorful.
When I say you won't have a cap, I mean that the fruit will be mostly consumed and not be nearly what is was to start with. It won't disappear completely. Some would rack it now and others wait until its fully dry. ( <1.00 ). I'm in the wait till it's dry camp.

Thanks Lori. I do plan on waiting until its dry and stable before racking as per Dave's instructions. I'll probably be removing the fruit bag tomorrow and giving it its last stir for a few days.

Going from a cap to fizzing is normal....Actually the fizzing is when its going into the second ferment...Now if you had that in a carboy it would be called the second phase of fermentation.
When it gets to that stage (in a bucket) you have about 3 days left before it is complete.
When it gets to that stage in carboy with air lock, you have about 10 days before its done.
I have had a ferment go from cap to fizz in 3 days.
Dont stir with drill again...you will have a big mess on your hands.
Let it finish out.

Thanks For the good information James. Would most fruit wines benefit by going into the carboy during the second fermentation?

Would most fruit wines benefit by going into the carboy during the second fermentation?

Read through this post, and it should help to better understand the relationship between yeast's primary & secondary fermentations, how it relates to primary and secondary fermentation vessels, and a general idea on when, what types/styles of wines need to be racked.

If you need any further explanation, dont be scared to ask.. I just didn't want to re-type all that :)

as deezil said read the article, and make the choice based what you are makeing.

I make nothing but db type wines..I ferment to dry in the primary, Unless I am making a port.

Not advising , just saying

Thanks Manley. Just finished all five pages and it did explain alot. Your explanation was very informative.

You've already got your answers but I had to chine in: isn't it fun? I'm hooked and just on my 2nd batch the smell is almost addictive! Mines in the primary as we speak too last SG reading was 1.050 :)

Starting my first batch today. Only had a 6.5 gallon so I have to make some adjustments. Either way I am pitching a starter I made from apple juice (worked great for Skeeter Pee). Question will this produce a light fermentation, not likely to need a lid? I ask because I just set my lid on top, but not sealed it seeing as I need to check this every day.

I have made a couple dragon bloods, i never put a lid on it, i use a paint strainer bag secuered with a large rubber band.
Your 6.5 will end up about 5 gallons when your completely done.

I use a flour sack dish towel secured with a piece of elastic on all of my primaries. Works just fine and smells great. Here's a bucket I started this morning. The rolling plant stand on the bottom comes in pretty handy when it's time to rack.

Shiraz_viognier_f.jpg

Lori, thanks for the pic. My bucket is on a stand just like yours, but I didn't use any shelf liner. I've noticed the bucket slipping every now and then when i move to where I need it to rack to secondary. Great idea!

Pam in cinti

I have always just swipped my wife's dish/hand towels out of the kitchen.
She kind of got pissed when I turned the fancy one purple!!!!

now I just use the fancy purple one!

:slp

omg elmer...thats some heavy theft.....thats like washing her clothes and turning her black bra, spotted white with bleach.....lol

Mah first batch!

This one is just a mini batch to start with. I used 1/5th of all the ingredients (tannin, nutrients, etc.) but I used cara cara orange juice instead of lemon juice and I ~doubled the berries (40 oz of quad berry).

I will do a bigger batch once I get my 3 gallon carboy free.

-David

IMG_4903.jpg

Latest posts

Back