DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup and also 3 inches is no big deal... 3 inches from the neck or from the top of the opening?

Carolyn

The level is about 2 inches from the bottom of the neck, or right about where the flare ends. I added the Super-Kleer yesterday, so it should be like that for about a week at which time I'll bottle.

Here is my batch of Strawberry Rhubarb DB. Have been bulk aging for about six weeks now; I think I am going to age it a little more before I bottle. How long should I wait to bottle after sweeting?

I like to give mine a week after sweetening, just to be sure. Strawberry/Rhubarb sound great!

China-Clipper: Yours should be fine for that short period of time without topping up further. Good job!

Bottled our first batch made it to the "T" from your recipe Dave using 3/4 cup of sugar per gallon. It is very very very good!:try The second batch has been started.

I am so happy to have found this site, my husband and I have learned so much in just a few months just from browsing.

congrats to you terri, you will learn, that you can not make enough of it...
post a pic of your finished wine, so we can all admire it....

Bottled our first batch made it to the "T" from your recipe Dave using 3/4 cup of sugar per gallon. It is very very very good!:try The second batch has been started.

I am so happy to have found this site, my husband and I have learned so much in just a few months just from browsing.

That's good to hear. "very very very good" borders on EXCELLENT.

Do you remember on what day you hit your SG 1.000? Reason I ask is I'm now on day 8 and got a SG 1.010. That is down from yesterday's 1.014 but at that rate it looks like another 3 days, day 11, until I hit 1.000.

Thanx

i looked at my logs today and most of the time i hit 1.000 on day 5, and .990 on day 7 are 8.

i use superferment for yeast nutrient
and about 95 percent of the time i use pasteur red are premier curvee yeast

Do you remember on what day you hit your SG 1.000? Reason I ask is I'm now on day 8 and got a SG 1.010. That is down from yesterday's 1.014 but at that rate it looks like another 3 days, day 11, until I hit 1.000.

Thanx

I will have to ask my husband he kept the log. I will let you know later today.

Thanx

Mine usually run anywhere from 7-10 days to get dry. I don't use any extra additives other than what Dave has listed on the recipe. Just keep stirring it real well and you will be good to go.

Ii have racked mine to secondary. Tasted it since I am curious. Unfortunately it was tastless. What can I do to improve the taste? Did I do something wrong,? Will taste come through with aging? Any comments or thoughts appreciated.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Wine Making mobile app

I would imagine its still full of co2 and dead yeast cells..
Degass and clear it first, then determine what to do from that point.
After its racked a few times and all the co2 out it will taste completely different.

Thanks James I will do that.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Wine Making mobile app

New Lesson Learned

So, I started a triple batch of original DB two days ago. I pitched the yeast yesterday morning before going to work. While I was getting my yeast together (EC-1118), I kept asking myself, "Do I really need three packets of yeast?". Now, I know someone will come on and say they already knew this, but I had always added three packets of yeast to my big batches. It's how my (usually) logical mind works. Simple. Triple batch, triple ingredients.

So, out of character, I added just one packet of rehydrated EC-1118. I figured if it didn't take off after 24 hours, I'd pitch some more.

I came home this morning to vigorous primary fermentation!

IMG_0754.jpg

So, I've discovered even further savings by making larger batches! I know the yeast doesn't cost much, but every penny counts.

Thanx

Bill
It has been 9 days for both batches. We just checked second batch today and it is below 1.000 so we will check again and rack as long as it stays steady we will rack in a couple of days.

Bill
It has been 9 days for both batches. We just checked second batch today and it is below 1.000 so we will check again and rack as long as it stays steady we will rack in a couple of days.

Thanks for the info. I'm just a little anxious because all my experience has been with kits and they all fermented faster then this DB and oft at lower temperatures than the pretty steady 80F +- for this DB batch.

I think that I'm going to pull the fruit out Wednesday even if I find the SG is a bit over 1.000. Give it one last good stir and lock it down. Check it on day 14.

So, I started a triple batch of original DB two days ago. I pitched the yeast yesterday morning before going to work. While I was getting my yeast together (EC-1118), I kept asking myself, "Do I really need three packets of yeast?". Now, I know someone will come on and say they already knew this, but I had always added three packets of yeast to my big batches. It's how my (usually) logical mind works. Simple. Triple batch, triple ingredients.

So, out of character, I added just one packet of rehydrated EC-1118. I figured if it didn't take off after 24 hours, I'd pitch some more.

I came home this morning to vigorous primary fermentation!

IMG_0754.jpg

So, I've discovered even further savings by making larger batches! I know the yeast doesn't cost much, but every penny counts.

Dave, one packet of yeast will only ferment six gallons, if you are making more than six gallons I don't think the yeast will ferment it to dry.

Dave, what julie says makes perfect sense, BUT...
There was a russian guy that used to post here last year, he was a fermenting nut....maybe julie knows whom he is..
He did a test on a one gallon batch of wine....He used a lalvin yeast...
He mixed the fruit with water and sugar,,,,and counted out...
3 grains of yeast, testing to see if it fermented.
first day it double, the second in tripled, the third it quadrupled.
not sure what happen to the test...but it was an indicator that yeast will multiply.
keep us posted on your ferment..would be interesting to know....

James, yes yeast will multiply but only to a certain point. And sorry, I do not remember who the Russian is.

Putting in just one packet, probably will work, but I don't think it is a good thing to promote to all. Here's why I say it will probably work, the normal rate of yeast application is 1 g of yeast / gallon of must so 18 grams is what would be recommended by that math. Each yeast pack is 8 g, so 2 packs gets you to almost the 1 g /gallon. So, after one doubling generation, you are probably at the same as using two packets.

Now having said all that, I like to increase my odds of success, so I would have used three packs. Also, I like to think part of the point of this website is to promote best practices.

I dont think dave are myself was promoting the amount of yeast to use.
I agree with julie and you, 1 gram should be used for 1 gallon of must.
I was merely telling dave that it may work, and may not based on what this russian was experimenting with on his yeast studies.
I also agree that best practice should be used for everything,but that does not mean they every post will be.
And every post does not mean someone should do what the poster says are does.

julie, his name was luke, are lucke, are something like that...cant find his post. may have been german...just cant remember...
thanks

Latest posts

Back