DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aw! James I'm sorry to hear that! You seem to have overworked yourself in Houston! I hope you feel better soon!

Carolyn

James, sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. For a minute there I thought you were just a very good dancer. You were doing the two step very well, lol.

I'm with you, James. Been fighting a sinus cold for a week. Makes it very hard to concentrate.

Anyways, looks like all the recipes are doing well.

Rose (as you probably already figured out), use a little less water if you add extra fruit and your rpimary space is limited. the foam will dissipate to a low fizz after a few days.

Everyone has their own take on primary fermentation. Just know that I have always fermented my DB to dry in the primary, lid sitting on top (not snapped down), and covered with a cloth. As the recipe suggests, after dropping below SG 1.000, I remove the fruit bag(s) and leave it undesturbed for a few more days (not removing the lid or stirring). This prevents unwanted exposure to O2 towards the end of the ferment.

Since I was feeling a little better yesterday, I mixed up a big triple batch (18 gallons) of DB in my BRUTE. Pitched the yeast this morning. By tomorrow the house will be stankin' with the great smell of fermenting wine! :b

I as you started feeling a little better today and started a strawberry/blackberry ..trying to get a stock pile before summer..

I'm with you, James. Been fighting a sinus cold for a week. Makes it very hard to concentrate.

Since I was feeling a little better yesterday, I mixed up a big triple batch (18 gallons) of DB in my BRUTE. Pitched the yeast this morning. By tomorrow the house will be stankin' with the great smell of fermenting wine! :b

Dave hope you feel better soon too! 18 gals!! I'm jealous! I need to get me a brute can lol!

Carolyn

lol, carolyn...you better get a few strong guys to help you move it are, one aio.....18 gallons is heavy.

I know!! I won't be able to tackle this until I have an aio! They do have optional trollies for them for sale at Home Depot though! Just wondering though... Can I do just transfers with my super jet? No filters??

Carolyn

Rose (as you probably already figured out), use a little less water if you add extra fruit and your rpimary space is limited. ...

Dave, so let us say you're using 9 pounds instead of six pounds of fruit, do you need to adjust the recipe with regards to the tannin etc?

Thanx...

About that "oxidation"

I was wondering.......when I racked my DB to the carboy the fermentation had pretty much stopped in the primary. I added K-meta when I racked and have a head space of about 3". My question is: doesn't the K-meta give off SO2 gas? Wouldn't this form a "layer" above the wine and help protect it from oxygen much as the layer of CO2 does during primary fermentation?

I was wondering.......when I racked my DB to the carboy the fermentation had pretty much stopped in the primary. I added K-meta when I racked and have a head space of about 3". My question is: doesn't the K-meta give off SO2 gas? Wouldn't this form a "layer" above the wine and help protect it from oxygen much as the layer of CO2 does during primary fermentation?

Yup and also 3 inches is no big deal... 3 inches from the neck or from the top of the opening?

Carolyn

bkisel, use the same volumes of measurements unless you are adding like 3 times the fruit, then add more pectin to help break it down..
9 to 12 lbs you are ok using the same, after about 12, i would increase the pectin enzyme.

bkisel, use the same volumes of measurements unless you are adding like 3 times the fruit, then add more pectin to help break it down..
9 to 12 lbs you are ok using the same, after about 12, i would increase the pectin enzyme.

Thanks, just the info I was looking for.

Anyone just make a fruit quantity adjustment to the DB? How did the results compare with the 6 pound recipe?

Thanx...

Thanks, just the info I was looking for.

Anyone just make a fruit quantity adjustment to the DB? How did the results compare with the 6 pound recipe?

Thanx...

As James will no doubt tell you, he uses twice the fruit in all his batches. Gives it more flavor. I'm perfectly happy with the six pound batches. The choice is yours. As far as adjusting the other ingredients for double the fruit, you don't have to make any changes at that level.

Man, I'm so anxious to see how this DB turns out. The frugal in me keeps thinking about how great it would be to have a wine that you like only costing ~ $1.30-$1.50 per 750ML worth of consumables. Even my RJS VdV kit wines come out costing about a buck or so more per bottle.

I'm sure you'll be pleased, Bill. It's a real hit with the masses---emphasis on "masses". Once they get their hands on it, you'll never be able to stop making it. I've just reached my 105th batch of wine over the past two and a half years, and I bet half (or more) have been Dragon Blood or some variation.

lol 105 batches x 6 gallons = 630 Gallons divided by 30 months = 21 gallons a month. Guess we know what yall do for fun in Ohio lmao

i have made many many batches of different variants of db...
the original is still by far the best...it is hard to beat something that is perfect.
the original just has a flavor of its own, light, refreshing and with a gorgeous color...hard to beat.

I agree, James. I like the other varieties I have made, but the original is still the favorate at our house.

Here is my batch of Strawberry Rhubarb DB. Have been bulk aging for about six weeks now; I think I am going to age it a little more before I bottle. How long should I wait to bottle after sweeting?

thumb1_strawberryrhubarb-2-2379.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Latest posts

Back