DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick visit!

Just wanted to give a shout-out to everyone still experimenting with the DB recipe. I'm still making a lot, loved by friend and foe alike!

My "perfected version" has some extra tannin, and a shot of untoasted oak powder in the primary.

Just as a note: After years of experimenting and 100 batches, it seems that more flavor is extracted from the fruit at the upper end of fermentation temps. I use various brew belts to keep mine nice and warm during primary fermentation. I get a great fruity aroma, flavor, and color with just one pound of fruit per gallon---yet still a subjective observation.

Keep up the great wine making, and share the recipe!

Dave

3 Gallon Batch of DB
June 28th Wed Dragon Blood Wine phase 1 completed@ 4:00 pm
Wait till tomorrow 24 hours to add yeast
Initial hydrometer reading 1.075 as expected with 5 pounds of sugar

Hydrometer reading 1.080 with extra 3/4 cup of sugar added
Temp of liquid 81%

Retake readings every 24 hours

June 29
9am reading 1.090 temp of liquid 71.7%
4pm reading 1.090 temp of liquid 70.8%
Target ~12% ABV
Prepaid yeast
Squeeze fruit bag, remove bag
Add yeast
Stir with power drill

June 30
9:00am reading 1.074 temp 73.5%

July 1
9:00am reading 1.055 temp 73.4%

July 2
10:30am reading 1.031 temp 76.0%

July 3
11:00am reading 1.010 temp 73.0%

July 4
9:30am reading 1.000 temp 74.7%

July 5

July 6....potential ready to rack Dragon Blood Wine into clear carboy
Sanitize bucket
Rack back into bucket then proceed to degas, etc
Then rack back into carboy and let stand for at least a week

Last edited:
Just wanted to give a shout-out to everyone still experimenting with the DB recipe. I'm still making a lot, loved by friend and foe alike!

My "perfected version" has some extra tannin, and a shot of untoasted oak powder in the primary.

Just as a note: After years of experimenting and 100 batches, it seems that more flavor is extracted from the fruit at the upper end of fermentation temps. I use various brew belts to keep mine nice and warm during primary fermentation. I get a great fruity aroma, flavor, and color with just one pound of fruit per gallon---yet still a subjective observation.

Dave

Happy to see your still around and making DB. Thanks for the info. about your experimenting. We will be starting a new Triple Berry batch and I will add a little more tannin and a shot of oak chips. Jacking up the temp. will be an easy thing to do. Thanks.

Will

hi all i stared my first batch of triple berry blood on 6/10 and i already backsweeten on 7/1.
the wine already has an awesome flavor. Checked today i have not an ounce of sediment that i can see so i must done something right or it beginners luck..lol
hoping to bottle this weekend
i stole some 7/2 and put frozen berries in it with a few ice cubes... i gotta get another batch going I dont think this will one will make it far.... :dg

Dave...from an earlier post you stated..
My current "perfected version" calls for the addition of 1/3 cup of untoasted American oak in the primary and three tsp of finishing tannin near the end, in addition to everything else in the recipe. This was after nearly three years of tasting and testing.

Your latest posting ...has a few changes...
A shot of oak power and some extra tannins.
Also using a brew belt..

A few questions..
What temp do you target for fermentation?
Any further details on how much oak ...a shot of oak power ?
and how much additional tannin?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Last edited:
hi all i stared my first batch of triple berry blood on 6/10 and i already backsweeten on 7/1.
the wine already has an awesome flavor. Checked today i have not an ounce of sediment that i can see so i must done something right or it beginners luck..lol
hoping to bottle this weekend
i stole some 7/2 and put frozen berries in it with a few ice cubes... i gotta get another batch going I dont think this will one will make it far.... :dg

Gotta say you are absolutely right about getting another batch started right away. I am a small wine maker and have 4 different wines bottled right now and the one that runs out 1st is usually the Triple Berry. The only other one that gets drank and given away as fast is the 100% Raspberry DB.

Will

Dave

Good to see you Dave!!!

Dragon Blood clearing nicely can see baby picture through carboy.
Thanks Dave for this wonderful recipe...

20170629_174753.jpg

Dave

Good to hear from you, Dave! How are you faring?

Enjoying a cold cup (actually 3rd cup) of my Dragon Blood that i had to steal from my carboy its been backsweeten for over a week now and i have no sediment what so ever so gonna bottle this weekend.
I used 9lbs of berries so it has a BERRY Good color and the taste is excellent.
Can't wait to to taste it in a few months if it lasts that long it was a hot and humid day here in PA and was looking forward to a taste of it after work.
I was going to try the the tropical version next buttt i may have to make another batch of this before i run out.
I'M HOOKED ON IT NOW...LOL
I did put some frozen triple berries in the cup and put the DB on top the berries take on the flavor and give you a nice lil treat at end !

20170707_183937.jpg

20170707_183919.jpg

Is this considered a port then when you add oak?
Sorry for dumb question if it is one I'm kinda new to wine makin.

Is this considered a port then when you add oak?
Sorry for dumb question if it is one I'm kinda new to wine makin.

No, the defining characteristic of a port-style wine is fortification. A distilled liquor (typically brandy) is added to the wine to get the ABV to about 20%. This is higher ABV than yeast can tolerate, so such a fortified wine will be shelf-stable even if there is some residual sugar there.

Most ports are oaked, but many non-port-style wines are also oaked.

I'M HOOKED ON IT NOW...LOL
I did put some frozen triple berries in the cup and put the DB on top the berries take on the flavor and give you a nice lil treat at end !

Nothing quite like making your own!

I took a sample today from mine out, and the pH is at 2.93. It's still fermenting a bit in the carboy, even though it had been down to .994 before I racked it.

Should I be concerned? there doesn't seem to be a lot of flavour. I'm thinking I might add some juice concentrate to it.

Any suggestions?

I took a sample today from mine out, and the pH is at 2.93. It's still fermenting a bit in the carboy, even though it had been down to .994 before I racked it.

Should I be concerned? there doesn't seem to be a lot of flavour. I'm thinking I might add some juice concentrate to it.

Any suggestions?

The only concern I believe you should have is to make sure the ferment is totally stopped before Sorbate and K Meta. You will know that the ferment has stopped when you get 2-3 days of the same SG reading in a row. Like .990 x 3 days. As for the flavor it won't come into it's own till the 2nd or 3rd month after you back sweeten the batch. And then look out you should be impressed.

Will

Any suggestions?

If there is a lot of CO2 in your wine (and there most likely is if it is still fermenting), it can throw off your pH meter. Wait until the wine is done, clear and degassed. Then measure again. Remember also: when you sweeten, the perception of acid will diminish. I just bottled a kit that was at 2.98, but you'd never guess, since it is a sweet wine.

Latest posts

Back