DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I just finished a six gallon batch of DB and I'm disappointed to say the least. It's not terrible, but it just sort of tastes like water with a slight berry flavor. It's also a much lighter color than the DB pictured in the recipe.

I was hoping for something nice and fruity. Will the fruit flavor come forward with time? Maybe I should try a dragonette next time?

Would it be a mistake to add two or three cans of berry concentrate to give it more flavor?

The only problem I see with that is I've already added sugar, so that could make it too sweet. But unless the flavor is stronger I won't drink it anyways, so is it worth a try?

Clearing Issue

I let it clear for 3 weeks but its no where clear except for the bottle neck. I did a transfer to a new carboy which the tubing showed the DB to be clear. I the degassed again which I did have some fizz to address. My basement was 68 degrees when I did it the first time so I hope being 79 degrees hoping I would have better luck driving out the CO2. I then added added additional Super Kleer which resulted additional particulate to drop. Its been three days now since I done that all that and I have a clear bottle neck again and hazy carboy and when using a flash flight I can define the light but that is it. Should I think about adding more pectinase hoping its pectin haze? Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

image1.JPG

Clearing Issue

I let it clear for 3 weeks but its no where clear except for the bottle neck. I did a transfer to a new carboy which the tubing showed the DB to be clear. I the degassed again which I did have some fizz to address. My basement was 68 degrees when I did it the first time so I hope being 79 degrees hoping I would have better luck driving out the CO2. I then added added additional Super Kleer which resulted additional particulate to drop. Its been three days now since I done that all that and I have a clear bottle neck again and hazy carboy and when using a flash flight I can define the light but that is it. Should I think about adding more pectinase hoping its pectin haze? Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Get a turkey baster or wine thief and put some of your wine into a cup I couldn't tell if mine was clear or not while in the carboy, but when you put it in a cup it is easier to tell

Back to my issue if anybody has any suggestions.

I just finished my DB today and I'm pretty disappointed. It almost tastes like water with a slight fruit flavoring. It's not terrible, it's just not as fruity and good as I had hoped. Will the taste of the berries come out if I let it age in the bottle for a month or so? Should I add a few cans of berry concentrate to kick up the flavor? What do yall think?

I just finished my DB today and I'm pretty disappointed. It almost tastes like water with a slight fruit flavoring. It's not terrible, it's just not as fruity and good as I had hoped. Will the taste of the berries come out if I let it age in the bottle for a month or so? Should I add a few cans of berry concentrate to kick up the flavor? What do yall think?

Hi Floomagoo, i'm a bit obsessed with gelatin (though agar agar is better if you can get it) extracts at the moment, i admit. However, if i wanted to boost the base flavor of my wine that's the way i'd go. There is some sweetness though so that might be a problem if you have an already sweet wine.

Or perhaps you could make a standard fpac? There's a long and beautifully detailed thread on fpacs on this forum.

I've made quite a few DBs but i'm in no way an expert, so just offering a few ideas...

Hi Floomagoo, i'm a bit obsessed with gelatin (though agar agar is better if you can get it) extracts at the moment, i admit. However, if i wanted to boost the base flavor of my wine that's the way i'd go. There is some sweetness though so that might be a problem if you have an already sweet wine.

Or perhaps you could make a standard fpac? There's a long and beautifully detailed thread on fpacs on this forum.

I've made quite a few DBs but i'm in no way an expert, so just offering a few ideas...

Thanks Pip! I'm not sure why there is so little flavor, it really dissapoints me. I will look into fpacks!

I'm thinking I will try to make my next batch using concentrates instead of berries so that I will have a little more control over the flavor

I made my first DB Oct of last year and bottled right before X-mas. I also thought my first batch of dragon blood lacked the fruit flavor i had hoped for. Others like it tho. I made a second batch this January and did in fact use the Dragonette recipe and doubled the fruit. Much better! However it doesn't have the cool color of the original, its darker. I already have gotten good comments so far on this batch. Also, i recently opened a bottle of the first batch and it was a bit better, so i think it does get more fruit flavor as it ages. I have only been doing 3 gallon batches because i wanted to make sure i liked it before doing a larger batch...Here is a pi of them both..

image1 (17).JPG

Well I just finished a six gallon batch of DB and I'm disappointed to say the least. It's not terrible, but it just sort of tastes like water with a slight berry flavor. It's also a much lighter color than the DB pictured in the recipe.

I was hoping for something nice and fruity. Will the fruit flavor come forward with time? Maybe I should try a dragonette next time?

Once you have backsweetened it and let it sit for a few months, the fruit will get better.

My first DB had double fruit, it was OK, kinda light. My second, I tripled the fruit, much better. I'll be making another shortly, in which I'll not be adding any water, straight up triple berry fruit wine..........

Thanks Pip! I'm not sure why there is so little flavor, it really dissapoints me. I will look into fpacks!

I'm thinking I will try to make my next batch using concentrates instead of berries so that I will have a little more control over the flavor

Did you top off with a lot of water? I found that it really dilutes the flavor. Maybe try adding another pound of fruit (or two) and making 7 or 7.5 gallons to start instead of just six, that way you won't have to top off with water.

You might have gone a little light on the fruit, or perhaps you weren't giving the berries a good squeeze. I put mine in a colander over a bowl (all sanitized, of course) and squished them flat with the base of a large measuring cup.

I'm not a dragon blood pro, these are just things that I've noticed in the scant three batches I've made. Hope it's some help.

I am clearing my first batch of DB. I did double the fruit and it really comes through, even at this stage. Starting SG was 1.100 and fermented to .990. Even without back sweetening it, I find it really delicious (although a bit strong haha). I tend to like dry wines, but I think my next batch I will shoot for 11-12% rather than the near 14% this batch is. Very impressed with the color, aroma, and early taste of this. On top of that it is quick and simple... what else could you ask for? No reason not to have this in stock at alllll times.

Once you have backsweetened it and let it sit for a few months, the fruit will get better.

My first DB had double fruit, it was OK, kinda light. My second, I tripled the fruit, much better. I'll be making another shortly, in which I'll not be adding any water, straight up triple berry fruit wine..........

I love that no water idea! Where do you buy the juices from? I checked for the concentrates at Walmart and they do not carry any of them!
Or do you grow your own berries?

Thaw and dump them in my press for a light pressing, then put all of the juice and pulp into a fermenter, adjust sugar and acid, add pectic enzyme, yeast a day later, off to the races.

How many lbs of berries do you plan / gallon finished?

I might try similar except use either maybe some white grape juice or cider as some liquid filler and honey instead of sugar to raise SG.

I have a good amount of assorted fresh produce fruits (peaches, blueberries, grapes, etc) that I have frozen which I might just combine with more berry blend / honey / grape juice (say no to water!)... It is spring so I see some likely farmer's market trips involved too...

Cheers!
-johann

How many lbs of berries do you plan / gallon finished?

I might try similar except use either maybe some white grape juice or cider as some liquid filler and honey instead of sugar to raise SG.

I have a good amount of assorted fresh produce fruits (peaches, blueberries, grapes, etc) that I have frozen which I might just combine with more berry blend / honey / grape juice (say no to water!)... It is spring so I see some likely farmer's market trips involved too...

Cheers!
-johann

I've not done it this way before, so I can't say for sure how much it will take, but am assuming it will similar/bit higher than grapes per gallon. I'm guessing somewhere in the order of 20 pounds per gallon........

Back