dandelion wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I started the dandelion on 13/5 it was fermenting great then the past week it has been really slow. There us half inch of sediment in bottom can still see little bubbles rising at neck of demijohn. Took a reading and it was 1040 IS there anything I can do to help it long? Shall a rack into another demijohn? Or do I just be patient and forget about it?

Have you tested your hydrometer to make sure it is accurate?

How do I test it? I have got another hydrometer never thought to try that one. I have a rhubarb thats slowly coming down but the dandelion been at same level for 2 week now. Hardly any bubbling through airlock .

What's your temperature at? May be hard to think you need more heat since its 90degrees out today (at least here in MA) but my basement is still a cool 65-68degrees.

Am in U.K and it has been warm here and its roughly been in 70's in in the house. The recipe was a cjj berry one.

I am still a beginner here myself but you can try to add more nutrient and energizer to get that fermentation moving.

Just a thought.......

Do a search for stuck ferm and give that a try, make sure temp of must up there when adding energizer. To test hydrometer get distilled water and take the temp to what says on hydro for being calibrated at or adjust for difference. But if it's working on another wine then rules that out.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Wondering if it needs more yeast or nutrient to give it a boost?

Still no sign of anything with the dandelion looks like it will be a very sweet wine. Both the dandelion and rhubarb are starting to clear the rhubarb still has bubbles rising. But nothing with the dandelion and its still at 1040 :-(

ForumRunner_20120625_105239.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120625_105153.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120625_105153.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 75
Still nothing happening? Not sure what else to try besides maybe splash racking and some energizer and keep it warm.

Do you mean more yeast nutrient? I racked it into another demi john and still nothing it is warm here so Im thinking it just got to end of fermenting even tho reading not what I had hoped.

Right now the abv is around 6%? so would be like a wine cooler. I would try a yeast starter, maybe the yeasties died out??????

Just made a starter going to add and fingers crossed :) will let you know.

Got some bubbles rising but still very slow compared to the rhubarb which has speeded up as its really warm here today.

Yep it took off still going quite fast tho now going to test tomorrow ;-) thankyou :)

What the heck???? Are you sure you picked dandelions! :)
Don't know what else to do now, hopefully someone with a higher pay scale can jump in and help.

Latest posts

Back