Dandelion Wine...guidance?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBell

Reaction score
Starting a 2 gallon batch of dandelion wine

2 pounds dandelion petals (boiled and strained, 'tea' added to must)
juice from 6 lemons and 6 oranges
zest from 6 lemons and 6 oranges
water to 2 gallon
1 pound white raisins

Questions I have

1. Jack Keller's recipe calls for zest to be added in primary. Is this best practice or is it better to add in secondary?
2. What specific gravity range should I be starting from? Is there a range for this type of wine?
3. Any other suggestions?

Raisins will be added in secondary. Nutrient/Energizer/Yeast will be added at yeast pitch, likely tomorrow evening. Using either Lalvin 1118 or Red Star Montrachet for yeast, as that is all I have on hand.

Juice and dandelion tea are sitting in primary awaiting additions if necessary. Want to make sure that after 3 hours of picking and de-leafing dandelions I don't mess this up

Make sure the raisins are chopped and preferably free from sulfates.
Add the Zest to the primary as directed.
I would suggest a starting SG of around 1.085 to 1.090 for this wine.
Make sure you picked all the green from the dandelions. this is the bitter part and the hardest part about this wine.
I have made Jack keller's recipe in the past and it's not bad but not my favorite wine either.
good luck and keep us posted

I have a 3 gallon batch going from this recipe in which the green parts are not removed...SG is 1.100 to start, so will be a potent wine...using 1118.

Latest posts

Back