Damit.. not enough water . what now?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ypedal

Junior
Reaction score
Ok.. so i made a newb mistake.... argh

I usually make 1 batch at a time, using the same primary fermenter, i know exactly where 22.5 L is and always hit the mark.

This time i started 2 batches and used another primary bucket i'm not as familiar with and after day 7, transferred to carboys and realize i'm short about 4 Liters !.. :po

Fermentation went well on both buckets, i know.. i know.... i should have checked SG and this would have shown an obvious problem before adding yeast but what's done is done.

Question is this.. should i lave it be ?.. .. top off with water ? .. other options ?

Make a water wine, this will bring your water level up to where it needs to be and keep your ABV where it needs to be.

Taste it - if the wine tastes fine, it will be fine. If it tastes unbalanced and it called for more water initially, go ahead and add a bit more water. If your fermentation finished completely dry it is higher in alcohol and more concentrated than intended anyway. I don't think that would hurt it to dilute it some in that case.

I did the same thing on my very first kit. I had been making fruit wines with no problems and for some reason when trying to play right and follow the rules to the letter with the kit I somehow managed to read the tick marks on my primary wrong. When it was time to transfer to the carboy i noticed I was a full gallon short. Once I realized where I made my mistake I simply added the missing gallon of water and hoped for the best. The kit turned out great and no one was ever the wiser.

…or get a smaller carboy for now. If you don't care for the higher ABV like Julie said make a water wine.

Just to update this, i finally bottled this a few days ago, cleared up perfect and turned out fine.. just as you all expected :db

Time to start the next batch !

Latest posts

Back