RJ Spagnols Cru Peach Chardonnay 2010

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreppe5

Junior
Reaction score
I bottled 29 bottles of this wine in May. It tastes great now, at first it was too sweet. I aged the wine in bottles as this was a kit. I am new at winemaking. When I opened bottles over the first 5-6 months they were crystal clear. This month I am noticing debree floating around in the wine in the bottles. Anyone know what this is or how to get rid of it since it is already bottled.

I was thinking of entering a contest with this wine but cannot with it not being clear.

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited:
To get rid of it you will have to filter and re-bottle. No idea what it could be. I had some that was filtered and is now showing some sediment for some reason. (At least I think I filtered it).

Just remember that if you re-bottle to filter it you might end up oxidizing it and it will also have some bottle shock. So give it a few weeks after rebottling before giving to anyone or entering it in a competition.

Dan, does it seem to have carbonation now? Im thinking maybe there was a little bit of fermentation possibly. If not then ho long did it sit in the carboy after fermentation was done? I know the instructions say when you could bottle it bit giving it longer to sit for the wine to drop more lees is a much better way to go.

It does not appear to be carbonated. I aged it in the bottle for 5 months. It was only in the carboy for 2-3 weeks to clear. I then racked over to the primary and bottled. This was my first wine. I followed the instructions in the box.

If I should have done something different can you give me some tips? I am new to this so I have been starting with kits.

The directins on these kits are pretty good right up to the point when they say you can bottle. Any wine should sit longer even if using a fining agent as any wine will still drop out very fine sediment over more time.

Wade,

How long should I wait to bottle? Should I rack the wine or just leave it in the carboy in the sediment?

If I bought a mini-jet filter could I bottle in hte recommended time and allow it to age in the bottles?

Back