WineXpert Corking problem?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob007

Reaction score
I decided to bottle my Stags Leap Merlot rather than age in the carboy for a few months. I purchased a hand corker but the corks would not go in completely on all 30 bottles. I fiddled with the adjustment, but it did not make a difference. The corks are anywhere between 1/8 of an inch to 1/2 inch beyond the top of the bottle. Most are about 1/4 inch out. Is this going to be a problem? Right now the bottles are going through the sitting upright phase and will be turned on their side in a few days. Ugh!

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Get one of those cheap corkers that you punch the top of it with your hand. I use a floir coorker and for the stubborn corks I slap the devil out of them with it.

Is this going to be a problem?

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't risk it, certainly not on a nice kit that you'll want to put some bottle age on like the Stag's Leap. I highly recommend a floor corker, which should have no problem finishing off those bottles. If you're on the fence, talk to your LHBS. Many will even rent them so you can try before you buy.

If the bottles are filled too much, the corks will not go in far enough.

Probably not a problem unless you plan on keeping them years and years. Just let them bottle age an appropriate amount of time and drink the outies ist :ib

Back