Using Enolmatic Bottle Filler for the first time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artooks

Reaction score
Hi,

Everyone,

This year I am making my first wine and I am planning to use Enolmatic bottle filler for the first time, there are a few things that I would like to ask, first of all the most important part enolmatic comes with a syphon wand but since I am going to use it with my SS tank there is a tap at the bottom ? should I connect the hose going into there ? or should I remove the variable capacity lid and use it with a syphon wand that I cannot decide, also If I have to remove the lid that I risk oxygenation during bottling so how do you cope with this problem especially for people that are using 25-30 Gal tanks ?

Attachments

• 309720753_10162835526288079_4976494936123783346_n-1.jpg
    309720753_10162835526288079_4976494936123783346_n-1.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 2
I don't have experience with an enolmatic bottle filler, but I can tell you that when I bottle from carboys, I generally siphon into one of my primary fermenter buckets and add a dose of kmeta at that time, then bottle using my All In One Wine pump.

The kmeta helps to protect against oxidation, and the time the wine is exposed during bottling is minimal. Oxidation takes more time than that.

Hi,

Everyone,

This year I am making my first wine and I am planning to use Enolmatic bottle filler for the first time, there are a few things that I would like to ask, first of all the most important part enolmatic comes with a syphon wand but since I am going to use it with my SS tank there is a tap at the bottom ? should I connect the hose going into there ? or should I remove the variable capacity lid and use it with a syphon wand that I cannot decide, also If I have to remove the lid that I risk oxygenation during bottling so how do you cope with this problem especially for people that are using 25-30 Gal tanks ?
I agree with @Jovimaple as it relates to the risk of oxidation during bottling. Oxidation, at a level of damaging the wine, does not happen in this time frame.

As far as experience with the Enolmatic - I've used this system exclusively for 4 years. 1). I've never used the multi piece wand provided, opting for a stainless steel racking cane. 2) Gravity feeding the pump would be fine, I think. But, I admittedly have never used it that way. The Enol uses vacuum to pull the wine.

You could always test the bottling of water to see how gravity feeding the Enlo would work. Is the wine in the SS tank now?

Either way, you're going to have to release the vacuum of the tank, thereby allowing O2 in, as wine exiting will undoubtedly create negative pressure.

Last edited:
I agree with @Jovimaple as it relates to the risk of oxidation during bottling. Oxidation, at a level of damaging the wine, does not happen in this time frame.

As far as experience with the Enolmatic - I've used this system exclusively for 4 years. 1). I've never used the multi piece wand provided, opting for a stainless steal racking cane. 2) Gravity feeding the pump would be fine, I think. But, I admittedly have never used it that way. The Enol uses vacuum to pull the wine.

You could always test the bottling of water to see how gravity feeding the Enlo would work. Is the wine in the SS tank now?

Either way, you're going to have to release the vacuum of the tank, thereby allowing O2 in, as wine exiting will undoubtedly create negative pressure.
Hi thanks yes the wine is in this ss tank right now before this during racking I remember I used to transfer the wine via the tap without taking out the variable lid I think dry airlock helps with that what do you think ?

I don't have or use SS stainless tanks. However, you cannot simply drain wine from a tank without allowing something in to fill the same volume of space. The wine flow would slow at first and then simply stop. Must be your dry airlock allowing this exchange.

The bigger question for me is how you're going to limit all the sediment from being bottled. This is the chief reason I use a racking cane with the Enolmatic.

Sounds like you'll have fun bottling wine today...

Last edited:
I don't have or use SS stainless tanks. However, you cannot simply drain wine from a tank without allowing something in to fill the same volume of space. The wine flow would slow at first and then simply stop. Must be your dry airlock allowing this exchange.

The bigger question for me is how you're going to limit all the sediment from being bottled. This is the chief reason I use a racking cane with the Enolmatic.

Sounds like you'll have fun bottling wine today...
Hi,

Thanks I have alteady racked my wine 3 times prior this, so I believe only very little or zero amount sedimentbis there I am just preparing myself I will work with water to get myself acusstomed to use enolmatic during bottling.

I recently started a thread about using the Enolmatic (here) - hopefully will have some ideas for you. The plastic wand that comes with it is useless. You can use a 1/2" racking cane instead though it's a bit of a tight fit.

As @crushday noted, Enolmatic uses a vacuum to fill the bottles. I think you might run into problems if you have the source tank too high and use gravity. But if the valve that you show is below the level of the filler, I think it should be OK. If you're worried about oxygen, can you just vent the top of the tank instead of removing the lid?

Good luck!

I don't have experience with an enolmatic bottle filler, but I can tell you that when I bottle from carboys, I generally siphon into one of my primary fermenter buckets and add a dose of kmeta at that time, then bottle using my All In One Wine pump.

The kmeta helps to protect against oxidation, and the time the wine is exposed during bottling is minimal. Oxidation takes more time than that.
Thanks for the tip yes racking into a bucket will make life much more easier, I was quite worried about oxygenation but I guess at this stage it won’t create a big issue. Thanks

I recently started a thread about using the Enolmatic (here) - hopefully will have some ideas for you. The plastic wand that comes with it is useless. You can use a 1/2" racking cane instead though it's a bit of a tight fit.

As @crushday noted, Enolmatic uses a vacuum to fill the bottles. I think you might run into problems if you have the source tank too high and use gravity. But if the valve that you show is below the level of the filler, I think it should be OK. If you're worried about oxygen, can you just vent the top of the tank instead of removing the lid?

Good luck!
Thanks this tank is a 25 gallon capacity and sitting on its feet almost 15” higher than floor level then there is the tap which is 2-3 inches higher than that I am thinkin putting enolmatic on table level which will be higher then the tap I will check the dimensions but almost 30”-40” higher so at this setup will this work ? Do you also recommend transferring from the ss tank into a bucket ? Why enolmatics syphon wand is no good ?

Thanks this tank is a 25 gallon capacity and sitting on its feet almost 15” higher than floor level then there is the tap which is 2-3 inches higher than that I am thinkin putting enolmatic on table level which will be higher then the tap I will check the dimensions but almost 30”-40” higher so at this setup will this work ? Do you also recommend transferring from the ss tank into a bucket ? Why enolmatics syphon wand is no good ?
The Enolmatic will definitely pull wine up from the floor to table level - that's what I did when bottling. If you can vent your ss tank, I don't think you need to transfer out of it unless you have sediment and/or you want to make a final addition of KMBS/K-meta before bottling.

The enolmatic wand (in my experience) leaks and sucks in air at the junction in the middle, no matter how tightly you assemble it - this would be a sure way of oxygenating your wine! Based on the other thread that I posted, it seems like others have had the same problem.

The Enolmatic will definitely pull wine up from the floor to table level - that's what I did when bottling. If you can vent your ss tank, I don't think you need to transfer out of it unless you have sediment and/or you want to make a final addition of KMBS/K-meta before bottling.

The enolmatic wand (in my experience) leaks and sucks in air at the junction in the middle, no matter how tightly you assemble it - this would be a sure way of oxygenating your wine! Based on the other thread that I posted, it seems like others have had the same problem.
Thanks for the tip, ok I will first try it by fixing the suction hose on the tap, I will add meta 1 week before bottling that is what I was told is that ok. So the only thing remaining is to see if I can pull from the tap without using a wand ? Also there is a small receiving container at the back of the machine for surplus how do you transfer it back to the bottle is there a way ?

Also there is a small receiving container at the back of the machine for surplus how do you transfer it back to the bottle is there a way ?
When you're done, you can just empty it into a jug and (if there's enough) fill a bottle by hand. Label it 'last off' since it is at least potentially lower quality than your other bottles (since it's what bubbled over during filling).

Hi,

Everyone,

Unless you are putting CO2 into your tank during the transfer, you will always get "air" into the tank during bottling.

Latest posts

Back