cork sanitizing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spree

RedWino
Reaction score
So I just went through my first bottling and I didn't sanitize my corks. Now I've been browsing the forums and I keep seeing lots of posts about cork sanitizing.

Should I expect to run into issues now? I went straight from bag to bottle.

Last edited:
So I just went through my first bottling and I didn't sanitize my corks. Now I've been browsing the forums and I keep seeing lots of posts about cork sanitizing.

Should I expect to run into issues now? I went straight from back to bottle.

I think you meant straight from bag to bottle. If I just got a fresh sealed bag of corks, I would not do anything else with them. My first year of winemaking, I never sanitized them (I didn't know better) and had no problems. Rest easy and enjoy your wine.

The best way to sanitize corks is to get a colander, a bucket with a lid, and sulfite solution. Take the bucket and and put the colander in there and pour the corks you plan to use in the colander and pour the sulfite solution over them and put the lid on. Let that sit for 10-15 minutes with the corks over the solution (the gases to 99% of the work). What lots of us do is actually make a corkidor. We take a bucket and put a vessel (preferably glass) with sulfite solution right in the middle that has no lid on it and pour the corks around it and seal the bucket. The gases sanitize the corks and any other wine making tools you can fit in there but dont put any metal in there as the solution will eat the metal fast!

Back