Cooling beer for carbonation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do I really need to cool beer thats in a corney keg before I carbonate? What about wine? And I leave the co2 tank on it all the time?

Do I really need to cool beer thats in a corney keg before I carbonate? What about wine? And I leave the co2 tank on it all the time?

well it does help the co2 to take to the liquid if the liquid is well chilled....it concentrates better....works even better if you chill it, pump some co2 into it, give a real good shake, perhaps rolling it back and forth, pump more co2, and repeat....

G8keeper is correct. Cold beer will absorb the co2 better than warm beer.

Ok. Could I possibly alternate between the freezer and the cold storage area of my house? I wouldn't leave it in the freezer too long and I wouldn't put the C02 tank in there. I just don't have an extra fridge to put it into right now.

Take preasure up high(25 pounds) get it to about 35 degrees and let it set for a week. Then drop pressure to about 8 pounds and let it set(for a very short time before tapping and drinking). Keep it cool because no one (but Germans) like warm beer.

Back