Considering my first all grape batch, low-tech...need advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byathread

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm considering doing my first batch from grapes. Chilean grapes would probably be ideal (and cheaper) but I'll be doing a fair amount of traveling much of April and possibly thru early July so that timing doesn't work out. But, I thought this summer perhaps I could afford two (inexpensive) frozen must buckets (Cab and Merlot) and ferment separately, then bottle some separately and some blended.

The goal is to get some experience with fresh grapes, MLF and bench trials for blending. Here's the catch: I'd like to purchase little to no equipment this time around. I suppose I could rent a press, though I've heard of folks who destem, crush and press by hand on small batches (I realize I won't need to destem/crush with a frozen must bucket). The thing is, I'm not sure I'll stick with the fresh grapes thing so I'm not ready to purchase crusher/destemmer, press, plus TA, pH and SO2 testing equipment (which seems awfully expensive).

The manufacturer of the frozen must buckets provides TA/pH values as well as suggested winemaking info (tartaric acid additions, etc). Have you all found these numbers to be pretty reliable? Or would I be taking too much of a risk not getting accurate measurements on this before making necessary adjustments. If so, do you recommend a different approach of getting into fresh grapes without equipment/testing? Chilean juice buckets (which I believe have already been balanced) with a few lugs of grapes perhaps? Only thing is, it looks like I'm going to miss this Chilean season...

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate having this great resource in WMT.

OK,

I would not trust their readings. I would confirm them for myself.
The testing you need to do is limited to PH (and/or TA), and SG readings. SO testing can be done using titrates, but this is not as critical as testing acid and sugar.

You need to have a hydrometer no matter what you do and an acid test kit can be obtained for about $8.

I have never dealt with frozen must before. I assume that this is just crushed/destemmed grapes frozen in a bucket. If this is the case, you will still need to press the grapes. On another thread, I describe how you can construct a simple, very cheap, press that is good to use for batches of up to 20 gallons or so for about $15....

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum...ol-fermentation-temperature-42292/index4.html

I encourage you to delve into using fresh grapes. The costs are there, but keep in mind that fresh grapes are cheaper than a good kit or juice buckets. In the long run, a proper press and a crusher will pay for itself.

You can try to test pH with the pH test strips, but they are hard to read. A meter will set you back at least $50. You might get by a batch or two relying on the results that come from the supplier, but like John said, they can be unreliable. Good luck with the project.

Depending on where you get the grapes from they will destem and crush them for you for a fee. I'm getting juice pails from harford winery in Maryland and they offer that service for those that buy straight grapes. I'm only adding 18 lbs per 6 gallon pail, so I'm just doing them by hand. I may however try all grape when the CA grapes come in. I'm planning on getting 5 gallon paint strainer bags and when I get the crushed grapes home run them through that so I will be able to press the juice out at the end. Not sure if it will work, but I'm limited in space and can't get all the necessary apparatus.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Depending on where you get the grapes from they will destem and crush them for you for a fee. I'm getting juice pails from harford winery in Maryland and they offer that service for those that buy straight grapes. I'm only adding 18 lbs per 6 gallon pail, so I'm just doing them by hand. I may however try all grape when the CA grapes come in. I'm planning on getting 5 gallon paint strainer bags and when I get the crushed grapes home run them through that so I will be able to press the juice out at the end. Not sure if it will work, but I'm limited in space and can't get all the necessary apparatus.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

That is precisely what I did last spring. A bit of a workout, but 18lbs is VERY manageable when it's in the paint strainer bags. I split mine into two, and that made it a little easier. No worse than wringing out a grape pack from a kit wine, really.

JohnT, I really like your redneck press. I'm sure I'll give that a try. I didn't realize I could get such a cheap TA test kit, that sounds like a wise and cheap investment.
Thanks for the input, folks.
I think I'll wait and see about the fall harvest.

Latest posts

Back