Concord Not Kosher

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris889671

Reaction score
My concord is doing well. I added sorbate and camden tabs and decided not to backsweeten yet because the flavor is getting better and it tastes sweeter than the last sample. I thought I had a perfect wine to top off with, I found a concord wine at the market. It turned out to be a Kosher wine. Does Kosher mean pickled wine, because thats what it tasted like. (I do know what Kosher means.)I wont be topping with it. Any suggestions for a top off wine that wont change the flavor?

If your topping off a 6 gallon batch and only adding one bottle it shouldn't make that much of a difference. With that being said buy a wine of the same varietal you are making, or something similar with a flavor you'd like your wine to have. You can also ask the guy at the liquor store for a recommendation as he should know his stock.

Thanks Dave. The Kosher wine was the only concord wine on the shelf. maybe a sweet red will work. It is only 2 1/2 gal. so i should find something similar

Chris, "kosher" is a Jewish term meaning "fit to eat" or "allowed to be eaten." My understanding (and this is from a "Mackerel Snapper") as it is applied to wine is that the wine is made under the supervision or under guidelines set down by a Rabbi. I would guess that there are rules as to how the grapes are handled and how the equipment is used. It does not have anything to do with kosher pickles as regards ingredients.

Cheap wine is cheap wine... you won't find "expensive" concord, I don't think. You could top up with anything... the blend might be fantastic! You could also go to a liquor store where they carry "fruit" wines. They would have something there. Probably a little better too.

Debbie

Just my own!!
You aren't likely to get THAT at your local Walmart though... but in those places that sell the nice fruit wines probably... as I said. We have some local fruit wineries that sell some nice wines around here... but you won't find them at Walmart!! LOL

Debbie

Chris, "kosher" is a Jewish term meaning "fit to eat" or "allowed to be eaten." My understanding (and this is from a "Mackerel Snapper") as it is applied to wine is that the wine is made under the supervision or under guidelines set down by a Rabbi. I would guess that there are rules as to how the grapes are handled and how the equipment is used. It does not have anything to do with kosher pickles as regards ingredients.

Rocky you are right it has to be made under the supervision of a rabbi when it is made and it is blessed we use to butcher Kosher beef for the Jewish population here Tyson way back when it was IBP

Thanks everyone. Ill go pick up some sweet wines and do some sampleing to see what will work:dg

Latest posts

Back