Concord grape wine fast ferment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelu Liber

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch of Concord grape wine that has been 6 days in the primary. It is from my own grapes and the crushed grapes are in a mesh bag in the primary with the juice.

The starting S.G. was 1.095. It fermented ferouciously for about 3 days. Today I checked the S.G. and it is at .0997.

My question is should I go ahead and rack it into a carboy? Should I add more sugar? Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

I used Lalvin K1-V1116 yeast.

Sounds like everything went good to me, a little fast but all in all good. I would not add sugar though!

I have had similar fermentations and some that seemed to take forever. I concur with Wade and would add that I would rack to secondary ASAP.

Great! I will rack today! Has anyone used the pulp from a batch of concord wine to make a second batch and adding frozen concentrate to the must?

I have done so with various fruits, will be a weaker, thinner wine. I do it sometimes to make a "top up" batch for the original.

Sorry I am late on this, been a busy week. The KV-1116 is a fast acting yeast and with relatively warm weather will ferment very quickly. I does leave the flavors alone pretty well, so it should be good. You can try adding the pulp if you want to make a second run wine, but like JW says it will be thinner and you are basically making wine from sugar and concentrate.

OR YOU CAN TRY MAKING GRAPPA OUT OF THE SKINS VERY COOL.
smiley2.gif

I have a secondary batch going right now using Concord. Used Jack Kellers recipe. Tasted it when it went into secondary and I was pleasantly surprised.

Hi there, I have made wine from secondary. The wine will be thinner and grape flavor not as strong but can easilily be remedied by adding some frozen Welches concentrate from the grocery store to boost the flavor a bit. Be sure to check SG before adding any additional sugar because the concentrate will be sweet also. Don't dilute concentrate when adding and let your taste buds determine the intensity of the fruit you want. I would start with one can of Welches per gal and add from there.

Latest posts

Back