Concentrating yeast population in watermelon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkansan07

Reaction score
Hey guys going to tackle a watermelon wine this summer. I have access to a walk in cooler to keep my juice cold and prevent spoilage for 24 hours. I had an idea to use more yeast on my initial pitch to get fermentation going before the juice can sour. I was thinking like 2 or 3 packets per 5 gal. Is there any problem yall can see with doing this?

I don't think you will need that much yeast. One pkt ought t do it, just make sure you have a good strong starter going when you pitch it. Think I would start my yeast on some grape or apple juice, get it fermenting good, then add some watermelon juice, let it sit til it is fermenting good and add some more juice and let it get going again. Now pitch it in the watermelon juice and it should take right off. Hopefully it will take of and make some alcohol to protect the juice from spoiling. You mite try p.m.ing DJrockinsteve, think he made a batch that came out good. Good luck with it, Arne.

Latest posts

Back