Color

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocco

Reaction score
Is the color at the end of fermentation the final color? If I want it deeper any downside or benefit to adding more opti-red at this point? My brix is 4 so I probably only have a few days left in primary fermentation. It's dark red, but not dark purple if that makes any sense.

Last edited:
Generally, the answer is yes. Color may change a bit one way or another later as the result of aging, fining agents' use, or (hopefully not) oxidation and/or bacterial spoilage. Usually, if you want more color, you should cold soak the fruit prior to fermentation for more color extraction. Alternatively, you may use an f-pack to boost the color in the end, especially if you are back sweetening.

color depends on grape. some are dark red some will yield darker reds.sometimes adding tannin powder to must will help holding color.

Color also depends on its exposure to grape skins (maceration). I have found that bucket juice is notoriously light in color. I would simply go with the light color rather than trying to mess with it.

In my experience, the wine appears to get darker as it clears. All that sediment that is suspended during fermentation and early clearing is lighter colored than the wine itself.

"Presentation" counts for a lot no question,,,, but it has been my experience that wine,, mine, yours, homebrew, or store bought,, tends to taste better when my eyes are closed!!! JMHO:b

In my experience, the wine appears to get darker as it clears. All that sediment that is suspended during fermentation and early clearing is lighter colored than the wine itself.

Right on sir. Now dark deep red/purple after sediment dropped. Ugly bright red color gone!

Latest posts

Back