Cold Stabilizing oops

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shen

Reaction score
Note to self: Next time I cold stabilize, replace water/Kmeta solution in airlocks, with vodka. Tonight I checked the temp in the frige I use for cold stabilization, 28 degrees and all 3 of my airlocks were ice cubes. Oops!

I melted the ice in them with warm water and replaced with vodka.

Scott, I just use solid bungs. You need to replace them though as soon as you remove them from CS otherwise they'll blow off within a short time of warming up.

My chest freezer is deep enough to use the airlocks - i always use vodka in mine - so i don;t have to worry about that..

I always use distilled alcohol and water in the airlocks just to make sure the water in the airlock doesn't get infested with mold, fungus, or bacteria.

Use vodka not distilled alcohol, its the wrong type of alcohol. If any should get into your wine it would not be a good thing.

Vodka is distilled alcohol. If you think I meant isopropyl alcohol, or methanol, or antifreeze or some other form of alcohol, that is incorrect. But since I was not clear by saying ethyl alcohol, thank you for prompting me to clarify that. Vodka and grain alcohol (Everclear) would be two examples of ethyl alcohol that wouldn't impart it's own flavor or odor. I don't mind using rum, bourbon, etc., but would be very hesitant to use gin. I don't think the small amount would be likely to taint the wine with a gin odor, but why risk it? Besides, I hate gin and don't have any.

I don't understand how fermentation could be continuing in cold stabilization? Don't you cold stabilize just before bottling, well after any fermentation activity?

There would be no fermentation going on during cold stabilization, not sure where you got that idea there was in this post unless it is because of the use of the airlock. Some people like to use an airlock during this stage to make sure the carboy doesn't overflow or suck in as the temperatures change which could lead to a popped bung.

Back