Cloudy white

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boone1964

Junior
Reaction score
I bottled so Chardonnay about 2 month ago it was very clear today I noticed the was some sediment it the bottom of the bottle I filtered it before bottling and added 1/4 tsp of meta the wine taste great just wondering what might be causing the sediment
B

I am pretty new to this, but sediment after filtering seems relatively odd. What size filter pad did you use? How old was your wine when you bottled it? What are your storage conditions? My best guess is the sediment must be related to either heat or cold stabilization, but we'll see what the experts have to say based on your answers.

My best guess is that after you bottled the bottles got cold and some of the tartaric acid is dropping out. They typically look like little flakes dealies once disturbed but like to cling to the side or bottoms of the bottle otherwise

I agree with Tyroneshoolace, it sounds like wine crystals. Did you check your acid?

If its "wine diamonds" they would be like solid flakes that when when tipped will slide atound but not really cloud the wine. If its something that clouds up your wine when tipped then you either had some refermentation in the bottle or the filter set up somehow missed some . How long was it before you filtered it to when you started this batch. What size micron did you use in the filter set up and what filter set up did you use?

I'm starting to think its the tartaric acid I bottled it at 65 degrees and I'm storing it at 55 degrees
Should I refilter the wine and re bottle it
The acid level was .60 when I bottled it

55 is a normal cellaring temperature and not far from 65, so unless you have had some wild temperature swing(s) we may be heading down a wrong road. Can you post a picture? Seeing it could help.

Latest posts

Back