Clearing an f-pac?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilesDavis

Reaction score
After ruining the gallon of hand-picked blackberries I had set aside in the freezer for my f-pac, I purchased a 36oz. can of blackberry puree. Ingredient list is blackberry puree, single strength (Vintner's Harvest).
I don't really plan on cooking this down any, just hitting it with pectinase, determining the sugar I need and dumping it in the carboy. With sorbate, of course.
My question is this, can I clear the "syrup" somehow before adding it to my carboy? Let the pectinase work its magic for 24 hours, strain, and throw it in the fridge maybe?
The blackberry wine that I started in August is already quite clear without any finings, and I really don't want to cloud it up.

Miles,
I am thinking you can try the straining thing. Should get rid of some of the solids, but when you put a flavor pack in you almost always stand a chance of clouding things back up a bit, then you are back in the waiting game. Guess that is not what you wanted to hear, but I will bet it does cloud at least a little. Let us know how it works out. Arne.

There's always clearing agents...(if you want to re-clear the quick way)

Thanks for the replies. It looks like it's just gonna have to re-clear, or, I can just leave it dry. Right now, it tastes like a decent Pinot Noir.

Back