Clear Label Removal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cohenhouse77

Patience Apprentice
Reaction score
There are some labels that I have identified that are easiest removed by heating them in the oven for about 5 minutes. There are most others that are easiest removed not by heating but rather by soaking and they come right off. Does anyone have a solution for removing the clear plastic labels? Everything I try leaves a big mess on the bottles, and I know there has to be an easier way!

There are some labels that I have identified that are easiest removed by heating them in the oven for about 5 minutes. There are most others that are easiest removed not by heating but rather by soaking and they come right off. Does anyone have a solution for removing the clear plastic labels? Everything I try leaves a big mess on the bottles, and I know there has to be an easier way!
Do you mean the clear plastic labels that come with some wine kits? or some kind of commercial label?

The ones that come with wine kits usually just peel off.

Steve

The mess left on the bottles is easily cleaned off with lighter fluid, or (cheaper) VM&P Naptha from Home Depot or Lowe's.

I've tried all kinds of label removal methods, most of them suggested here. The fastest way from start to finish I've found to remove almost all kinds of labels is a $2 pack of single-edged razor blades, gloves and some time. Shave them off and use the naptha to remove most leftover label glues. Sure, you can soak bottles, etc. But this gets it done in less time when you count in all the waiting for soaking and etc.

I fill the bottle with very hot water (hottest your tap will run) to just above the label and let it sit for a couple minutes, then dump and fill again to make sure the glass is hot. DO not get the label wet, just inside the bottle. Leave it sit for 5 minutes then just peel off. This works for most plastic labels I have found. Also the self stick I have worked with and bought work well like this. The trick is to heat the glass, but not the label so just keep trying a corner untill you figure out the time to heat for a particular brand. I usually only have a very small, if any, glue residue left. This comes off easy with goof off. Seems to work great heating from the inside like that.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back