Clear and Age OR Age and Clear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gr8p

Reaction score
I have 2 3gal carboys. 1 has concord grape wine and one has pear. The pear has almost cleared on its own while the grape is still quite dark. I started in early October and have racked twice.

Should i continue to let age till ready to bottle and then using clearing agent

or

Should i attempt to clear and then let bulk age?

The plan is to bulk age for atleast 3 more mths before bottling as i understand the longer it ages the better it will be. I have not yet backsweetened either.

Thanks for your insights

My preference, for reds, is to let bulk aging do the clearing. However, I bulk age my reds for a year, at least, before bottling.
For whites, my preference is to clear then bulk age for 3-12 months.
For summer wines, my preference is to clear, then drink.

But I suggest experimenting if you can, maybe using 1 gallon jugs.

My preference is to let aging clear the wine. Since the wines you did will get better with a bit of age, by the time they are clear enough to bottle, they will also be aged a bit more than now. They should be clear in a few more months or a bit less for the pear. The Concord will continue to get better for a bit longer. If you like your wines a bit sweeter be sure to use some k-meta and k-sorbate before sweetening to taste.

I agree,also. Concord needs to age for about 1 1/2 years for its flavor to really come forward. Always bulk age your wines--unless they are made for early drinking.

Wow! gonna get real spendy to bulk age every wine. Looks like back to collecting cans.

I know what you're saying--that's how we ended up with 80 carboys.

Give it at least 9 months and then see what you think. But 9 months is still young for a concord. You can always stir up the dusty fine lees, when you get it to that point, about 2 times a week for a couple months--that makes the flavor come up on a young wine and gets it fit to drink. The flavor then is really much better.

Latest posts

Back