cleaning siphon tubes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whynot

Wine & Scotch
Reaction score
I just moved my first batch to the final racking, I always clean everything immediately after use. But I noticed a few little "items" clinging to the inside of my siphon tubes. So how does everyone clean their tubes to ensure they are "like new". I read on another forum of people soaking them in oxyclean for a few hours. I've just been using soap, cleaning then a k-meta w/ citric acid sanitizer when done..

Also similar question on the carboys, I have a few tiny pieces I see clung to the wall (I have OCD so I see everything :))... how clean does it have to be?

I use a carboy cleaning brush that fits on my drill
I run super hot water through my hoses and then rinse with one step, then hook my air compressor and blow them out.
I bought a 50-0 reel of hose, if it gets too bad, i just trash it, and get another new one.

whynot:

I got some small cotton balls from a craft store (maybe the craft dept of a dollar store), and push them through the hose with my bottle washer. By the way my bottle washer is either a Blast or Double Blast (I own both) that comes with a nozzle for rinsing hoses.

http://fermtech.ca/bottle%20wash/bottlewash.html

Steve

Rinse with super hot water, drain as much as possible, then put them in the corkidor.

Hot water rinse/flush immediately after use so nothing has a chance to dry. I run K-meta sanitizing solution thru then hang to dry. Spritz with same solution prior to use as well. have never had to scrub anything (except a couple of 20 yr old gallon jugs found in a shed).

thanks all.. corkidor??

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Wine Making mobile app

Back